INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Python 3 Mac OSX

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Python 3 Mac OSX

Ok, everything downloaded fine, and in OSX, the Align Module's Astrimetry.net's SETUP button shows that everything is installed.
If I use the online saver, all works.
But off-line it fails. It never failed before I upgraded.
:(

Peter
4 years 8 months ago #40901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Python 3 Mac OSX

Could you post the error message?
4 years 8 months ago #40902

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Python 3 Mac OSX

Well to be fair, I need to test it in the field with my real gear and not in my living room using simulated gear.
The problem is getting a clear sky here on the equator in east Africa, and arranging armed rangers to come out with me to my dark sky site in the bush. I do not want to get eaten. I will try this weekend.

Peter
4 years 8 months ago #40951

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Python 3 Mac OSX

So I would definitely recommend making sure everything works with simulators before going out in the field.

I can’t do much at the moment because I am on vacation right now and don’t have very good internet, which is why it has taken me awhile to respond. But I will be able to do more after the 14th of July.

I would like to know why the automated installer failed to install astropy, because it should have worked unless you have something odd about your python installation.

I would recommend checking to see that it works now using the ccd and telescope simulators in offline mode. If it doesn’t, check to see that the index files are installed gsc is installed, and where python3 is installed. If there is a problem, Ekos should print the error messages to the log now because I changed it. You should not have to paste the commands to terminal anymore.
4 years 8 months ago #40952

• Thank you received: 139

Replied by Andrew Burwell on topic Python 3 Mac OSX

I just updated to 3.1 tonight, and ran into the same issue. When attempting to install the software through the button, it failed on the first step. "Python failed to install". I hadn't read this thread yet, so I didn't attempt to do it again before reverting back to 3.0.
4 years 8 months ago #41315

The first step is installing homebrew. Are you saying that didn’t work or are you saying brew install python didn’t work?
4 years 8 months ago #41317

I'm not really sure, I didn't see any progress indicator or system messages. But Ekos said "Python failed to install". So I don't specifically know where it failed.
4 years 8 months ago #41318

OK, i figured it out. I already had Python 3 installed through another means, so it was somehow causing the script to fail from within EKOS. I had to create a link to brew from my install, and that still caused the script to not work. So then I told brew to reinstall python. After doing that, the EKSO script finished working to install the other component, and plate solving now works.
4 years 8 months ago #41320

Gotcha, what was your means of installing python3? When I was working on this last month, everything I found said that the best way to do it was to use homebrew. I was hoping to find a simple installer, which I know I did several years ago, but as far as I could tell the new way is to use homebrew.

Obviously anyway it gets installed would be fine and the simpler the better. I will look at the interface again to make sure we are supporting people with alternate locations for python 3.

After I worked on this for kstars I made the INDI web manager app last month and i had to do something similar and I think I improved on it a little. I will see if I can apply that to KStars.
4 years 8 months ago #41323

So I just looked back at what I did. KStars is running astrometry and INDI Web Manager app is running Indi-web, but they are both using python so that basics are the same. Note that there is no way to force astrometry.net to use a particular python executable. It just uses whatever python it finds first in your PATH. It is preferable that it uses python 3 instead of python 2. Basically the way I tell astrometry.net how to find python is to add whatever folder is specified to astrometry's PATH environment variable when it runs. For both KStars and INDI Web Manager App, I have left both the option to install and configure your own python setup as well as use an automated set of installation steps. For homebrew, python 3 once it is installed can be found at either /usr/local/bin/python3 or /usr/local/opt/python/libexec/bin/python.

For KStars, I have a button to setup everything automatically. But then if you uncheck the default checkbox, you can enter the path where python can be found and set up everything yourself as shown in these screenshots.

For INDI Web Manager App, I have a slightly different design. I have a green/red indicator that determines if everything is setup properly next to an install button. Then below that, I have the box where you can enter the path where python can be found. This box can be edited if you uncheck the default checkbox and you can enter whatever path python can be found at.

Is the current method in KStars sufficient for both people who want to install python themselves and people who want to use my automated installer, or is the way I did it in INDI Web Manager App better?

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 8 months ago #41334
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Chris Alberts on topic Python 3 Mac OSX

i have same issue but i have the following error where in the pip3 configuration can i check this on mac

pip3 install astropy
Collecting astropy
Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProxyError('Cannot connect to proxy.', OSError('Tunnel connection failed: 503 Service Unavailable',))': /artifactory/api/pypi/pypi_python_org/simple/astropy/
Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProxyError('Cannot connect to proxy.', OSError('Tunnel connection failed: 503 Service Unavailable',))': /artifactory/api/pypi/pypi_python_org/simple/astropy/
Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProxyError('Cannot connect to proxy.', OSError('Tunnel connection failed: 503 Service Unavailable',))': /artifactory/api/pypi/pypi_python_org/simple/astropy/
Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProxyError('Cannot connect to proxy.', OSError('Tunnel connection failed: 503 Service Unavailable',))': /artifactory/api/pypi/pypi_python_org/simple/astropy/
Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProxyError('Cannot connect to proxy.', OSError('Tunnel connection failed: 503 Service Unavailable',))': /artifactory/api/pypi/pypi_python_org/simple/astropy/
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement astropy (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for astropy

Chris
4 years 7 months ago #42406

Sounds like a server is down perhaps? Maybe try again later?
4 years 7 months ago #42412

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds