INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KSTARS and EKOS shutdown/Disappear

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

When downloading large Astometry files, KSTARS and EKOS shutdown. INDI is running but KSTARS and EKOS drop out. The 2.0' - 2.8' is 48 files and 13G in sizes. Being shutoff at 22% and 50 minutes to start over is not fun when EKOS and KSTARS stops working. The downloading is halted. What options are there to this shutdown problem?
4 years 7 months ago #42858

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
I would download the files manually.
4 years 7 months ago #42861

Hello,

I have done both. When I click on a SkyMark Diameter, EKOS starts downloading. The Open Box says that EKOS does not have the file. EKOS must download 48 large files, 13G. The shutdown problem of EKOS and KSTARS is during EKOS's required downloading.

I know that budgeting on any PI is a requirement. Gone are the days of 8G PI_BOOT partions. Why not make all files part of the distribution? The difference between 10G and 8G is 2G. But neither meet the SkyMark Diameter of 2.0'-2.8' (16G). On my PI, I have 128G, 10 + 118 PI_BOOT extension. I can technically handle the capacity of the package.

I am left with what EKOS and KSTARS are doing. I have seen EKOS and KSTARS shutdown. The complection bar shows 38 out of 40 when it shuts down after 55 minutes of heavy downloading. No error messages are left. The log date of yesterday is silent. This looks like a hard failure, out of memory, or buffer overfull. But, the shutdown timing is not consistent. No recovery mode is present. The download restarts at 0 out of 48.

I am asking for a solution to the uncommanded Shutdown and the apparent lack of safeguards with downloading. If the files exist, do not download. If halted, restartart on the last file downloaded. The Astrometry process is deep inside the EKOS paradigm. Either the documentation is to silent about preloading SkyMark Diameters or I missed a file. Either way, preloading does not help the process.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 7 months ago #42876

• Thank you received: 140

Which is the boot partition, 10gb or 118gb, as the boot should only be about 500mb and the rest should be available to store anything else, check, as it sounds like it’s filling the partition up, so shutting down..
On mr rpi4 I have a 64gb card, 500mb boot, and the rest for the home to store everything else..
4 years 7 months ago #42881

Thanks for the report, I will look into the issue of KStars shutting down while downloading. For now, try to manually download the index files and then simply double-click on them to install them.
4 years 7 months ago #42883

Hello,

I am manually downloading at this present. The 10 GB PI_BOOT partition is with RPI 3 B+. Earlier models were far more limited. I do not see Firefox choking on the 16G of data. I have way more than that with the other diameters downloaded. I reviewed my logs from yesterday and today. I do show that downloads were happening but inexplicitly stopped. The stop times vary. The logs do not give the file name. I could tell by the file size downloaded.
4 years 7 months ago #42902

• Thank you received: 140

But what do you have a 10gb boot portion, it only needs to be 500mb, so a lot of wasted space there IMHO...
4 years 7 months ago #42903

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds