INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What Gain& Offset fellow ASI 1600 MMC Pro users are using on EKOS?

• Thank you received: 6
After reading so many inputs about this on CN , but non of them really didn,t mentioned setting on EKOS. So here is my question; what settings do You use or recommend? My tubes are f10 (Edge 8) and f 6 (APO doublet) Right now mine is Gain 120 offset 11.
Thanks for input.
4 years 7 months ago #43363

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is there a table for all ZWO cameras that have the presets defined?

Low --> Offset X and Gain Y
Unity --> Offset X and Gain Y
High --> Offset X and Gain Y

We need this table for all cameras so that the driver can set these values for each camera model... is there such a table or it needs to be made?
4 years 7 months ago #43365

• Thank you received: 133
I used to run it at Gain 139 (=unity gain) with offset 10. Main issue there is that with a fast scope (my APO is F/4.9) this saturates stars insanely fast. I've lately switched to gain 0 (still offset 10), as I'm mostly taking RGB and don't want to kill star color. But there's nothing specific to EKOS in those settings. Gain 139 is gain 139, for any control program :huh:
4 years 7 months ago #43374

• Thank you received: 420
It also depends on the sky conditions. There is a very good thread about that for ASI1600 cameras on CloudyNights:

www.cloudynights.com/topic/573886-sub-ex...00-and-maybe-qhy163/

HTH, Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #43378

Sorry, that was for exposure times. Gain and offset settings translated into median ADU counts is discussed here

www.cloudynights.com/topic/570020-gain-s...-for-asi1600mm-cool/

Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #43379

Finally, as can be seen in comment 5 of that last URL, Gain 139 is unity gain. I typically use Gain 75 because I seem to recall that that gives the best bit depth of the images. I’ll need to search around a bit to find the source of that claim.

EDIT I meant well depth of the pixels
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 7 months ago #43381

• Thank you received: 2
I use asi 1600mm c Pro and have been using gain zero (bortle 4 skies) and can run 2, 3 or 4 min exposure on lrgb for good dynamic range but with my Ha I find I need to turn up gain to 75 offset 15(as a guess) to get good mean readouts without having to have a ten minute long exposure.. Mainly as a plane will ruin some of them! ✈️
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urmas Leming
4 years 7 months ago #43443

Coming back to the links I posted myself, in both several comments state that many users use gain 75 for LRGB and 200 for small band filters. The effect is similar to what Wayne(scave) said in the previous comment: you can limit the exposure times for the small band filters to something manageable without having to throw out too many subs because of planes or meteors.
4 years 7 months ago #43446

Here another article about the gain settings for two ASI cameras (1600 and 071) by ZWO themselves:

astronomy-imaging-camera.com/tutorials/c...in-ascom-driver.html
4 years 7 months ago #43465

• Thank you received: 6
What about Auto Gain option? If I set gain 0 OR 75 and leave the auto Gain on then what will happen? How much it will adjust the gain? I'm going to shoot M45 at least 3 h each LRGB..
The following user(s) said Thank You: wayne
4 years 7 months ago #43482

• Thank you received: 109
I run both a 1600MC Pro and a 1600MM pro. I have come to the conclusion that leaving the gain at 75 for everything I do is just easiest and works well. The later cameras and drivers from ZWO lock the offset, so even though the setting is still there, it really doesn't do anything. There is a thread about it on their website somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urmas Leming
4 years 6 months ago #43669

Time to create page: 0.963 seconds