INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

lost guide star: scheduler does not recover

• Thank you received: 94
Hi everyone
This problem had been fixed here:
www.indilib.org/forum/general/5280-phd2-...d-event-ignored.html

After the latest update to stable, it is back again...
indi-ekos-phd2 logs attached.
Can anyone help?

Thanks, Steve
4 years 6 months ago #44274
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Steve,
when exactly did guiding not recover? I flipped through the log file and it seems like guiding recovered whenever possible.

- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #44288

Hi. I lost about an hour around 02:00. The guide star was lost but PHD2 continued to loop without a guide star. I had to start the scheduler again manually to be able to begin guiding again. The camera frames were trailed because there was no guiding. PHD2 tries to regain the guide star but never managed to do so. Under these circumstances would it be possible to send an abort signal so the scheduler could try again?

Thanks for taking a look.
Steve
4 years 6 months ago #44297

• Thank you received: 182
The internal guider usually recovers very well, but unfortunately, if the guide star has been lost for a prolonged period of time, the object will have drifted away from the center of the frame, sometimes all the way out of the frame.

The only way to fix that I know of is to break down the schedule into multiple ~ hour long segments in which you rerun the same sequence over and over again. That way, if there were clouds, the scheduler will realign the object and then restart again eventually. At most you would lose an hour, but not the entire night.

Alternatively, one might consider forcing a realignment whenever the guide star is lost for more than 20 seconds.

Would that be an option?

In my experience, the internal guider almost never loses the guidestar, unless there are prolonged periods of cloudiness. In that case, realignment is warranted anyway.
4 years 6 months ago #44299

Hi Steve,
it looks like you exactly hit a very special case where guiding fails between two images while dithering. We have to investigate it further.
- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #44300

There is a new option for handling aborted jobs. The idea behind is to handle exactly those situations, where restarting guiding fails and the job aborts. There are two options: restart the job immediately or continue with the next scheduled job until all are completed or aborted. In any case, a re-alignment happens when the align option is selected.
- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #44301

Hi
Thanks. How do get the scheduler to do 1 hour sessions? Say I want 50, 6 minute frames...

Thanks
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by alacant.
4 years 6 months ago #44302

Hi Wolfgang,

I hit that exact same spot/special case a few weeks ago when a filter change coincided with the meridian flip. In that case, the scheduler restarted with the same sequence it just had completed.

Just FYI while you are looking into it.

Jo
4 years 6 months ago #44304

Easy! Just break down your sequence into 5x10 6 minute frames and create 5 independent entries into the scheduler that differ only by their priority rating (ascending from 1-5). Your exposure sequence (.esq) file will only show a 10 frame count, not 50 count. That way, when the first 10 frame sequence is finished, the second one will automatically start, reusing the same .esq file and including focusing, realignment and tracking, if you elected to do so using the check boxes.
4 years 6 months ago #44306

Hi. Thanks.

But then I end up with only 10 exposures (?). The sequencer sees that 10 frames are in the folder and so considers the job done.
What am I missing... Sorry....
4 years 6 months ago #44311

4 years 6 months ago #44312

• Thank you received: 420
Have a look at the Remember Job Progress option in the KStars configuration settings.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 6 months ago #44322

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds