INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

FITS viewer

7 months 2 weeks ago
Acapulco Rolf
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
FITS viewer #44479
Hi
Is there some setting that needs to be invoked in order for the ekos FITS viewer to show the HFR value for a given capture during an imaging session?

All images appear to show -1 for the HFR value

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago 1 month 4 weeks ago by Herrhausen.
Herrhausen
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51439
I want to bring up this topic again since no answers have been provided and the issue remains. Isn't this intended to show the actual HFR value? Does this feature fail or hasn't it been implemented at all?

1 month 4 weeks ago
hy
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51465
I just looked through the code, and it seems that the table displays the HFR if the HFR has been already computed, but it doesn't force the computation. If it hasn't been computed, it displays -1, as you noted.

So, obviously, the next question is what would cause the HFR computation?

I'm not sure, but happy to look into it ;)

I'll let you know what i find.
The following user(s) said Thank You Herrhausen

1 month 4 weeks ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
FITS viewer #51466
HFR is not automatically computed since it can be very CPU intensive and not necessary most of the time. Only when you click "Find stars" view menu it is computed, but I see now that HFR is not updated even that is clicked.. so there is a bug somewhere.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

1 month 4 weeks ago
TallFurryMan
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51468
I can add things to phabricator.kde.org/D28292 if needed, but I won't fix something I cannot test.

-Eric

HEQ5-Pro - Atik 314E - Orion ED80T - DMK21 on Orion 50mm
DIY 3D-printed Moonlite and FWheel RGB/LPR
KStars and indiserver on two Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM Linux, VPN remote access

1 month 4 weeks ago
hy
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51476
I did look into it and found the bug.
It was pretty small (2 lines change) and I sent the PR to Jasem and Eric
phabricator.kde.org/D28477

I guess since Eric is making large changes to focus and fitsviewer, I'm not sure if this will actually be submitted, or added to Eric's changes, or what.
Even after this fix, the UI for viewing the HFR would be klunky and should be improved, but at least this will allow that workaround that Jasem suggested.
The following user(s) said Thank You Herrhausen

1 month 4 weeks ago
Herrhausen
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51477
Hy, thanks an awful lot!

From your, DerPit's and Jasem's replies it's obvious we have everything that is needed to compute and display the HFR value of a picture.
I was hoping we could have Ekos display the HFR value of incoming light frames on the summary screen. Would that be difficult to implement?

1 month 3 weeks ago
TallFurryMan
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51629
I'd like to know exactly what you all mean with "frame HFR". Normally, we would associate HFR with a single star sample. In the Focus module, we are using the average HFR of the frame to iteratively improve the focus quality of the optical path for the arbitrary sky patch sampled in the frame, with stars filtered based on an arbitrary annulus. This "average HFR" is only really valid for the duration of this procedure. What would you like to do with that value?

-Eric

1 month 3 weeks ago
TallFurryMan
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51630
Wouldn't it make more sense to store the average minimal HFR in the FITS header?

-Eric

1 month 3 weeks ago 1 month 3 weeks ago by Herrhausen.
Herrhausen
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51638
The HFR value should be the same for all non-saturated stars in a picture. [Will check this, might have mixed something up here] HFR measures the overall quality of a light frame. Guiding errors (wind), deteriorating focus and seeing all impact the HFR value. Watching it all night is the most important thing for me to do, thus having the HFR value on the summary screen would be extremely helpful.

1 month 2 weeks ago
DerPit
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
FITS viewer #51848

TallFurryMan wrote: I'd like to know exactly what you all mean with "frame HFR". Normally, we would associate HFR with a single star sample. In the Focus module, we are using the average HFR of the frame to iteratively improve the focus quality of the optical path for the arbitrary sky patch sampled in the frame, with stars filtered based on an arbitrary annulus. This "average HFR" is only really valid for the duration of this procedure. What would you like to do with that value?

-Eric

There's currently quite some work done improving the full field focus mode. This one would give you a frame averaged HFR value. Once that routine is working reliably and fast (and IMHO it's there by now), the (my?) idea would be to call it not only during focus, but for any recorded frame, and store it both in FITS header and as a history graph to check for focus drifts. And then this value could also be displayed in the respective statistics slot of the FITS viewer...

openSUSE Tumbleweed KStars git INDI git
GPDX+EQMOD, CEM60EC, ASI1600+EFW+EAF+ASI290 mini
The following user(s) said Thank You jerry

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds