INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

FITS viewer

• Thank you received: 15

FITS viewer was created by Acapulco Rolf

Hi
Is there some setting that needs to be invoked in order for the ekos FITS viewer to show the HFR value for a given capture during an imaging session?

All images appear to show -1 for the HFR value

4 years 5 months ago #44479
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic FITS viewer

I want to bring up this topic again since no answers have been provided and the issue remains. Isn't this intended to show the actual HFR value? Does this feature fail or hasn't it been implemented at all?
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 11 months ago #51439

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic FITS viewer

I just looked through the code, and it seems that the table displays the HFR if the HFR has been already computed, but it doesn't force the computation. If it hasn't been computed, it displays -1, as you noted.

So, obviously, the next question is what would cause the HFR computation?

I'm not sure, but happy to look into it ;)

I'll let you know what i find.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
3 years 11 months ago #51465

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic FITS viewer

HFR is not automatically computed since it can be very CPU intensive and not necessary most of the time. Only when you click "Find stars" view menu it is computed, but I see now that HFR is not updated even that is clicked.. so there is a bug somewhere.
3 years 11 months ago #51466

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:FITS viewer

I can add things to phabricator.kde.org/D28292 if needed, but I won't fix something I cannot test.

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #51468

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Re:FITS viewer

I did look into it and found the bug.
It was pretty small (2 lines change) and I sent the PR to Jasem and Eric
phabricator.kde.org/D28477

I guess since Eric is making large changes to focus and fitsviewer, I'm not sure if this will actually be submitted, or added to Eric's changes, or what.
Even after this fix, the UI for viewing the HFR would be klunky and should be improved, but at least this will allow that workaround that Jasem suggested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
3 years 11 months ago #51476

Replied by Alfred on topic Re:FITS viewer

Hy, thanks an awful lot!

From your, DerPit's and Jasem's replies it's obvious we have everything that is needed to compute and display the HFR value of a picture.
I was hoping we could have Ekos display the HFR value of incoming light frames on the summary screen. Would that be difficult to implement?
3 years 11 months ago #51477

I'd like to know exactly what you all mean with "frame HFR". Normally, we would associate HFR with a single star sample. In the Focus module, we are using the average HFR of the frame to iteratively improve the focus quality of the optical path for the arbitrary sky patch sampled in the frame, with stars filtered based on an arbitrary annulus. This "average HFR" is only really valid for the duration of this procedure. What would you like to do with that value?

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #51629

Wouldn't it make more sense to store the average minimal HFR in the FITS header?

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #51630

Replied by Alfred on topic Re:FITS viewer

The HFR value should be the same for all non-saturated stars in a picture. [Will check this, might have mixed something up here] HFR measures the overall quality of a light frame. Guiding errors (wind), deteriorating focus and seeing all impact the HFR value. Watching it all night is the most important thing for me to do, thus having the HFR value on the summary screen would be extremely helpful.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 11 months ago #51638

• Thank you received: 133

Replied by Peter Sütterlin on topic Re:FITS viewer

There's currently quite some work done improving the full field focus mode. This one would give you a frame averaged HFR value. Once that routine is working reliably and fast (and IMHO it's there by now), the (my?) idea would be to call it not only during focus, but for any recorded frame, and store it both in FITS header and as a history graph to check for focus drifts. And then this value could also be displayed in the respective statistics slot of the FITS viewer...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
3 years 11 months ago #51848

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds