INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

A few issues

• Thank you received: 3

A few issues was created by Sean Pickard

There are a few issues that I have been having with ekos that I have been working on.
Attached equipment is below:
EQ6-R pro with EQMOD
Canon EOS Rebel T6 imaging camera
ZWO ASI290mm mini guide camera
USB GPS (I am not near a time zone change for this to be an issue, KStars & Ekos are set to update from USB GPS)

The biggest issue is that the meridian flip function reports "waiting" but never actually performs the flip. I know that the function is set to wait for the current capture to complete, then perform the flip. In the attached logs, the flip is supposed to occur around 1am. I have included all modules that I am using as when I was doing some testing during the day with ccd and guiding simulator, the mount would perform a meridian flip. I have an EQ6R-pro with EQMOD. The way I have gotten around this issue is watching the failure happening, parking the mount and restarting the scheduler. The mount then slews to the correct side and continues tracking fine.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_23-35-45.zip
File Size:5,374 KB

The next issue, which I do not currently have logs for is for the scheduler not starting the job process when I initialize the scheduler earlier on in the day and it is waiting for twilight. I adjusted the setting for pre-emptive shutdown to be longer than 2 hours but when the time comes for the job to start, nothing happens and the scheduler still reports "waiting for job start time".

When I open up the log directory from ekos to verify the destination, another copy of KStars is started and logging starts on that instance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 6 months ago #44571
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic A few issues

I have the same mount... Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro using the eqmod and I too have been seeing some strangeness after the flip. It seems to get stuck re-aligning or something.
(I use a Canon 600D, but the same drivers I think)

The next session I'll try to capture it with the mount logs. I assume that's all that would be needed.
4 years 6 months ago #44575

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic A few issues

Thank you for the detailed logs. I'm still not sure what is causing your issue. Wolfgang would probably have the definite answer on this, but I see a strange line in the log:
So I wonder what is making the capture module say this?
4 years 6 months ago #44578

• Thank you received: 370

Replied by Wolfgang Reissenberger on topic A few issues

It might be the case that "Remember job progress" is enabled and the job already captured enough frames.

At least what I understand from the log files it looks like the meridian flip should take place but the Capture module does not answer with "ready". This is the case when a capture has been started.

@Twistys: could you please post your scheduler file and the used capture sequence file?

@Twistys: are you able to reproduce the situation with the Scope Simulator instead of the real mount?

- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #44584

Replied by Sean Pickard on topic A few issues

I didn't notice that I was able to save the scheduler before, so this is the first time that I saved the scheduler. Normally I would just create the session each day fresh. Attached is how the scheduler is normally configured with the capture sequence I used.

When doing testing during the day, I connected EQMOD and GPS and ran simulated guide camera and ccd camera. I would find an object about to pass the meridian, tell the scheduler to start imaging, sometimes it would say "performing meridian flip" only slew a couple degrees, plate solve and slew back. When an object that was passing the meridian near zenith, the mount flipped properly, plate solved and flipped back to the other side. I do not have logs of these happening, but could attempt to reproduce if necessary.

File Attachment:

File Name: Sequence_s...uler.zip
File Size:1 KB
4 years 6 months ago #44596
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic A few issues

I had that same error too. I was using the "Guiding Deviation" turned on and was using <2.00 (default). And that number was being hit and it canceled the job (putting it in Pending Status or something like that). It would go to the next job, do the same and put 5+ jobs into the Pending Status before kicking off again.

Once it got to the bottom of the jobs, it gave me the error: "No pending jobs found. Please add a job to the sequence queue."

I upped the Guiding Deviation to 3.00 and got more success, eventually going to 5.00.

I also started using Sequences of 2 shots vs 10+. It required many more entries of course, but if the failed jobs halted, it had plenty more to find.
4 years 6 months ago #44598

The explanation for this is that either your mount has the meridian flip disabled or it thinks that a meridian flip is not yet necessary. The latter is the case when either time or location does not match with KStars.

A meridian flip is not a specific command to the mount but it simply re-issues a slew command to a target that has crossed the meridian since the last time it has been slewed to.

-Wolfgang
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
4 years 6 months ago #44603

To expand on what happened as I don't have logs. I would be tracking the object for a few minutes, it would pass the meridian, pass the constraint I set, capture would finish. Mount would slew and plate solve. Sometimes it only slewed a few degrees, once it flipped, plate solved and flipped back.
4 years 6 months ago #44604

I have had something like that before, I increased guiding deviation to 3.00 as well, made sure I had polar alignment spot on and enabled the re-schedule errors and would change job completion conditions to repeat until terminated.
4 years 6 months ago #44605

Oh, yes, that may happen as well when you are too close to the meridian and plate solving sends you across. But anyway, it looks like mount and KStars/EKOS do not have the exact same time or location. What would help in this case is adding 15min extra past meridian.
4 years 6 months ago #44607

That's perfectly OK - this is what you see when restarting after errors is set to "immediate" - a feature that we introduced recently to increase the robustness.
This is a bug, i.e. we have a situation where the Capture module wants to continue and the Scheduler thinks. Having your schedule and your capture sequence file would be great.

I assume you are using the "Remember job progress" option, right? And in your capture sequence you have more than one entry for the same filter, right?

- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #44612

Aaaah, I think I found the problem - at least for your case, Twistys. You stepped in to a known bug that should be resolved in the nightly builds meanwhile.

The problem was that using the scheduler option for sequence completion did not work right. As an immediate fix, please use "Repeat for 1 run" instead.

- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #44614

Time to create page: 0.713 seconds