INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Live stacking methods?

• Thank you received: 74
TESTED V 285 - OK PROBLEM not on test rig now on Obsys I5 8gb ssd Win 10.

Tried live stacking using files created by CCDCiel (on Windows) and Indiserver on a Gigabyte Ubuntu 64 bit connected to DSLR - so straight FITs

See attached screen dump - first file added then every files rejected - files ok via DSS/AT - not in same folder!

After renaming all files back - checked a couple with FITSAV no problem it loads them ok.

Also tried running normal stacking in ASTAP - (used just 3 files) same result first loaded then same error as above !

Strange
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Clive Stachon.
4 years 6 months ago #44923
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 92

Replied by han on topic Live stacking methods?

Hello Stash,

If the files are from a DSLR, the hot pixels & noise could be a problem. You will see in solving, stacking and live stacking. It could be also the settings. Could dump two or three files somewhere and send me a link , so I can have a look myself?

A dark could help but let me first have a look.

Han
4 years 6 months ago #44937

Just noted the exposure time:
EXPTIME = 60 / Total Exposure Time

This should be an easy image to process without a dark....
4 years 6 months ago #44940

Yes they are DSLR. I will try and get them off my Obsys system and put on Google and send you a link - may take a couple of days as I am trying to do a mod on my Obsys set up :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 6 months ago #44942

@HAN

ok pm'd you with link to 3 files used on failure

4 years 6 months ago #44955

ok another quirky item - on Ubuntu 19.10 live stack file count is from 0 - should be from 1 - think Windows version starts at 1. "Adding file 0 etc etc" !

4 years 6 months ago #44963

In the last version I changed counting such that it start from 1. If the version are the same, they should behave the same., unless I made a mistake with copying the source files.

About you DSLR images which didn't stack. Where the 60 second images guided or unguided? Images with oval stars doesn't work.

Han
4 years 6 months ago #44964

Thanks Stash,

Analysed the images.

Solving works fine with setting downsample x2 or auto x0
Stacking unbinned fails.
Stacking binned x2 works fine

Images are oversampled and contain hot pixels. Maybe I should at an internal step to binx2 for alignment since with OSC cameras, you don't want to bin them before de-bayering.

Let me add a internal binx2 step for alignment only so these images are processed smoothly. Maybe I should binx2 the result in one step.... In what resolution do you publish these images?

Han
4 years 6 months ago #44966

Han,

I will check the version number again just in case but the Windows version is fine and stars from 1.

Guided or not - dont remember. I dont always guide but still require (and do ok) to stack.

4 years 6 months ago #44977

Didn't actually try Platesolving with ASTAP so cannot comment!

"What resolution do you publish these images" - sorry dont understand - the images were 5184 x 3456 as per default on the Canon 100d and if I upload the images t o local Astro group I just do a screen print output via PNG via Paint or equiv. :-)

4 years 6 months ago #44978

version number was 0.9.283 dated 2019-10-19 Linux Ubuntu 19.10 AMD 64bit

Edit going mad - it was Linux Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS(bionic) on this test rig - use so many versions I lost track - sorry :-(

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Clive Stachon.
4 years 6 months ago #44982

Hello Stash,

ASTAP version 0.9.286 just uploaded does stack your images reliable. I have implemented what was already longer considered, "to bin (if specified) for star alignment stacking". Stacking is also little faster since finding stars in a binned image goes fater then an unbinned imaged making more then up the time required for binning. The binning is default at 0 equal auto or can be at 2.

So live stacking (the topic) is working well now on your images.

About your images, the HFD/half flux diameter of the stars is about 12 pixels and the image height is 0.36 degrees. This is equivalent to 0.37 arcseconds/pixel. The seeing was then about 12*0.37 is about 4.4 arc seconds which is typical. For several reasons an average HFD of 2 or 3 is the best . The SNR is best while not loosing resolution due to undersampling. So your image could be binned x4 to improve the SNR with not losing resolution. Since it is a OSC/DSLR this can only be done after demosaicing. So these small pixels are not the perfect match for a 12" telescope unless binned later.

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
4 years 6 months ago #44983

Time to create page: 1.195 seconds