INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Automated unattended meridian flip

Ekos can now perform a completely automated meridian flip in the middle of a capture session! There are a lot of things involved in this operation and It is still in BETA pending more testing from users. Use at your own risk! The mount might end up in a dangerous position during and/or after the flip!

After the flip is complete, it will capture and solve current location slew to target, performs guiding calibration, start autoguiding, performs dithering and focusing, then resumes capture process. I have to work on improving automatic star selection algorithms because they are key to the success of unattended operation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 1 month ago #3055

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
Is there a way to trigger a meridian flip to test it please?
9 years 1 month ago #3083

With EQMod, you can slew to the south, but before azimuth 180 degrees, track an object there, perform guiding calibration and start the autoguiding process. Then start a capture sequence, and set > HA to something short like 0.1, after the scope crosses the meridian and reaches 0.1 of an hour angle, a command will be sent to EQMod and it should flip by itself. Then Ekos will attempt to solve after the flip, slew to target if necessary, recalibrate the guiding, start the autoguiding, and resumes capture.

One point to note is guiding calibration procedure. If you want it completely automated, make sure to check "Automatic calibration" and TEST it . The automatic calibration procedure will select a star and resize the guiding square box as well... I didn't test it here much but will test it again over the weekend. This is why more tests are necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
9 years 1 month ago #3087

Cool thanks for the explanation, very useful.
My remote observatory is still in development, as in being in my room at home about 500 miles from the final destination while I debug all potential issues.
I was looking into a method to trigger the meridian flip without having to a guiding calibration etc...

This is to see if the scope / mount will move without hitting anything and or catching any cables.
9 years 1 month ago #3088

It can be done without guiding calibration as well, I just mentioned it there because this what you would do in a session. For what you want, i.e. a test, you just need to start to the INDI driver (no need for Ekos), and again slew to some object SE (near azimuth 180) then slew slightly to something just over 180 (SW) or any where SW for that matter and it will flip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 1 month ago #3090

cool, I shall try and report of any issues if any.
9 years 1 month ago #3091

Video demo of meridian flip in Ekos!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Chris Alberts
9 years 1 month ago #3176

Thanks for taking the time to do this video, very informative.
9 years 1 month ago #3178

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

Has anything changed since this feature was added?
My iOptron iEQ-45Pro does a meridian flip if I tick the Flip Ha checkbox under the mount section in Ekos but after the meridian flip Ekos does nothing else. Not even resuming guiding/capturing, let alone platesolving and guide calibration...

Am I doing something wrong? Should I do more than just tick Flip Ha?

I encounter the same behavior either if I've started a Job, either by starting a simple plan...

Thank you.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Flavius.
4 years 7 months ago #42046

• Thank you received: 133
Are you sure it's EKOS initiating the flip? My CEM60 has its own internal meridian handling, and that was set to flip by itself. And of course it always triggered before EKOS did.
So I gave it a 5 degree offset (20 minutes), and set EKOS to do it 6 minutes after meridian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts, Flavius
4 years 7 months ago #42048

Yes, it's Ekos' meridian flip. My mount is set to flip 25 min after the meridian and Ekos, as yours, set to 6 minutes.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Flavius.
4 years 7 months ago #42053

Actually, you were right. I forgot I've updated the controller firmware a few months ago and that must've reset my meridian setting. It was back to 00 degrees and that's what initiated the flip.
4 years 7 months ago #42068

Time to create page: 1.312 seconds