INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Memory Leak

• Thank you received: 3

Memory Leak was created by Sean Pickard

I had multiple crashes over the night due to running out of memory. I was watching the system monitor as kstars crashed a few times. Below I have listed all the components that I am using. I looked up similar issues and work arounds to them. Have already disabled fits view as that was causing me issues previously. After I had disabled that I was able to image for 3 nights in a row (last time it was clear) with no crashes all night. This time when I booted up it would crash after taking 4-10 captures. In watching the system monitor I started my process and it would go through slew, focus, align, guide, and start first capture all fine. Memory would spike during each operation but then return to its original amount. When it got to finishing a capture, downloading, and beginning the next capture however the memory would increase by ~20 MiB each time until it ran out of memory when downloading a capture and kstars would force close. I ran kstars in gdb using <code>gdb -ex run kstars</code> as recommended by Jasem in this thread. <code>(gdb) bt</code> returned "No Entry" I have included the syslogs, and a screenshot from Stellarmate App from when I disconnected the drivers and closed KStars, and another from when I reopened KStars. I know a "temporary fix" would be to upgrade to the Raspberry Pi 4 - 4gig. But if the memory leak is still there, it will still be an issue, just would take longer between crashes.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-11-07.zip
File Size:948 KB

Using:
Raspberry Pi 3b+ w/ Stellarmate OS v.1.4.4
EQ6-R pro with EQMOD
Canon EOS Rebel T6 imaging camera
ZWO ASI290mm mini guide camera
USB GPS
ZWO EAF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo, Tim Schuh
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Sean Pickard.
4 years 4 months ago #45580
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tim Schuh on topic Memory Leak

I'm experiencing the same behavior on the current version running on a RPi 4.
4 years 2 months ago #47505

• Thank you received: 14

Replied by Teseo on topic Memory Leak

I'm experiencing the same behavior.

Yes, that's the problem, it seems that Kstars doesn't free up memory after the image has been downloaded (in my case every FITS image has a weight greater than 30 MB), after more than 100 images are captured, my computer with 8 GB of memory it does not respond and requires "absolutely" that I close kstars.

With the latest kstars, indi, indi-3rdparty.
And all image captured in automatic scheduler.
4 years 2 months ago #47600

• Thank you received: 139

Replied by Andrew Burwell on topic Memory Leak

I have a 4GB RPi4 and the memory leak stops it too after about 4 hours of imaging. Happens every single time. I've since changed how I use KStars/EKOS. I used to run it all on the Pi device and would VNC in to the desktop and monitor it from a computer in the house. But since the memory leak, I only run the INDI Server now on the Pi Device and connect to it from KStars/EKOS in the house. This method does not experience the memory leak, and I've been able to image reliably now for about a month.
4 years 2 months ago #47652

I also use it remotely, and as I said in the computer I have 8GB of memory.
After the automatic capture of over 100 images (asteroid orbit measurement) the computer becomes slow, so much so that I have to close kstars to free up more than 7gb of memory.
Every time download an image it takes up a lot of ram memory.
4 years 2 months ago #47654

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Memory Leak

I would like to know how I can replicate this.. I took 500 images on StellarMate a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't detect any memory leak. Was HIPS overlay enabled? I'd like to replicate exact conditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
4 years 2 months ago #47676

Thanks knro, next time I create a log, HIPS is disabled.
I forgot to mention that they are all FITS image ( fits viewer is disabled ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Schuh
4 years 2 months ago #47679

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tim Schuh on topic Memory Leak

If HIPS overlay is enabled by default then yes, it is. My objective is to be able to pack the whole imaging train minus the mount into a suitcase, preferably carry-on sized bag. Resolving this is very important to me since I'm trying to avoid taking a full computer into the field. Full control and imaging from a RPi opens SO many possibilities that I really want to explore.
4 years 2 months ago #47709

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Memory Leak

I was wondering, for the folks with the memory leak--do you have the option "Single Preview Tab" checked? (I think you should have it checked).
You find that under the KStars options, then FITS, then it's a checkbox on that page.
I believe that KStars/fitsviewer would leak tabs if you had it unchecked (perhaps it should limit the number of tabs, I don't know if it does or doesn't).
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
4 years 2 months ago #47722

Yes is checked and Fits viewer is disabled.
Thanks
4 years 2 months ago #47724

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Memory Leak

Apparently memory leak is related to FITS preview.

I have just got a report that memory leak does not happen if you disable:
- fits viewer (Settings / Configure KStars / FITS / Use FITS Viewer) and
- preview from main Ekos tab (Settings / Configure KStars / Ekos / Capture / Summary Screen Preview)

Can you confirm this?
4 years 2 months ago #47742

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Memory Leak

I was about to make the same comment. That box needs to be checked to prevent consecutive tabs from opening.
In addition, I always leave my FITS viewer minimized. I also use an SSD with swap enabled, that might also make a difference.
I had the memory overflow a couple of times, but only when I ran KStars from a microSD card. Unsure how to explain that, though.

4 years 2 months ago #47751
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.683 seconds