INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Memory Leak

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Memory Leak

I'm curious if there's a common thread among the people who experience this leak (e.g. I still can't replicate it, and as of recently, I don't believe Jasem could either--I know he's hard at work looking into it). For instance, are you all DSLR users? RGB camera users with debayering, etc?

If you experience this leak, could you please post more details about the minimum configuration you use that will trigger this leak.
E.g.:
camera model and type, e.g. Canon DSLR with resolution WxH, ZWO 1600 monochome resolution WxH, ...
fits, raw, ???
Running fitsviewer while you capture?
Processor (e.g. RPi4) on what OS (Raspbian? Ubuntu 18.04? Stellarmate?)
How did you install KStars (Stellarmate, AstroPi3, AstroBerry, ...)
What release are you using when you observed the leak? (released 3.3.9, nightly at what date),

Also, can you tell how much is leaked per image? (e.g. by running the linux command 'ps aux | grep kstars" after every 5th or 10th image for as long as makes sense) and how that relates to the size of the image your camera captures

Thanks,
Hy
4 years 2 months ago #47900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Memory Leak

I have not experienced the memory link and have not had clear skies to try my cameras (SBIG 8300M and SX Lodestar) other than test shots. But I applied the two settings recommended above and then the issue is that you have no star image in the focus routing. you can pull it up in the fits viewer, but you cannot select stars there.

I am hoping this is not an issue with my setup and have gone back to the 'normal' settings.

thanks,
Ron
4 years 2 months ago #47991

• Thank you received: 139

Replied by Andrew Burwell on topic Memory Leak

I experienced this recently, it’s unrelated. But it seems that drivers for cameras got reset to default values with one of the latest updates. Make sure your camera is set to 16-bit raw. Mine reset to 8-bit and no guide stars showed up.
4 years 2 months ago #47992

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Memory Leak

thanks I will check, but I don't think that was my issue. When I changed to 2 settings back as they were originally, the star window did show up again, with no changes to camera driver.

This overall program is 'extremely' complicated and I find I have to test everything I want to use before hand; otherwise I am sure to have a problem (mostly of my understanding of available options) when I go to actually use a module.

thanks for all the hard work.
Ron
4 years 2 months ago #47999

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tim Schuh on topic Memory Leak

I'm on a 4GB RPi4 running StellarmateOS, updated via internet between tests. I haven't got a record of the versions that I experienced this issue with since I've upgraded Stellarmate since then. It would have been what ever packages were published when I started this thread.

Camera I was using here is a QHY168C, consuming about 300MB per frame, filling 4GB of RAM in less than 15 frames. Shooting FITS and debayered. I will test again tonight.
4 years 2 months ago #48016

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tim Schuh on topic Memory Leak

Every 10 frames in a series of 30 subs. There was a previous run of 10 subs so I'm already starting with a bit of memory load.

stellarmate@stellarmate:~$ ps auxww | grep kstars
Start: stellar+  1301  1.0 36.9 2959744 1372704 ?     SLl  11:20   6:49 /usr/bin/kstars --paused
10 subs: stellar+  1301  1.1 45.5 3280028 1691824 ?     SLl  11:20   7:18 /usr/bin/kstars --paused
20 subs: stellar+  1301  1.2 54.1 3600308 2012224 ?     SLl  11:20   7:43 /usr/bin/kstars --paused
30 subs: stellar+  1301  1.2 62.4 3920592 2317312 ?     SLl  11:20   8:07 /usr/bin/kstars --paused

stellarmate@stellarmate:~$ sudo dpkg --list | grep kstars
ii  kstars-bleeding                               6:3.3.9+202001011609~ubuntu18.04.1        arm64        desktop planetarium for KDE
ii  kstars-bleeding-data                          6:3.3.9+202001011609~ubuntu18.04.1        all          data files for KStars desktop planetarium
ii  kstars-bleeding-dbg                           6:3.3.9+202001011609~ubuntu18.04.1        arm64        debug information for the desktop planetarium for KDE

stellarmate@stellarmate:~$ sudo dpkg --list | grep qhy
ii  indi-qhy                                      2.6~202001021211~ubuntu18.04.1            arm64        INDI QHY Driver. This driver is compatible with any INDI client such as KStars or Xephem.
ii  libqhy                                        6.0.5+unstable~201912300954~ubuntu18.04.1 arm64        libqhy provide libraries to access and control QHY CCDs and Filter Wheels.

Disconnecting the gear and stopping the server made no difference of course. Memory is freed immediately upon kstars exiting. 30-ish subs are about all I can get before exhausting the 4GB RPi4.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Tim Schuh.
4 years 2 months ago #48032

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Jim Johnston on topic Memory Leak

New to this forum and to the whole K-Stars and Ekos thing. I have also been experiencing this memory leak problem; I screen recorded my session this evening and have posted a link here if anyone is interested. K-Stars crashed at 1:14:23 in this clip. I has the FITS viewer disabled in K-Stars. I am running on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM and Astroberry.

www.dropbox.com/s/anp7k2o25f0jovh/ice_vi...201-181546.webm?dl=0

Jim
4 years 1 month ago #48844

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Memory Leak

There is not file that is accessible. Can you please repost?
I also have these repeated and absolutely unpredictable crashes, but only on my Pi4. Never on my mini-PC, so I suspect this is something inherent to the Pi4 firmware or the architecture.
4 years 1 month ago #48883

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Memory Leak

For another data point, I don't see the problem with simulation at all. I ran last night with real hardware (SM OS, Pi4-4GB, ASI183mc Pro, ASI290mm Mini) and saw a crash every time I ran any sequence containing multiple image captures. I do get a single fits preview (haven't turned that off yet). However, when I ran with only 1 capture at a time (no matter how many times I ran a single capture), it always worked fine. I ran out of time last night during my tests, but I was curious about whether a zero delay between image captures could be aggravating the situation. I upgraded to 3.4 today, and I'll try again tonight to capture some additional data and post here on whether this is better in the new release.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Doug S. Reason: spelling error
4 years 1 month ago #48886

A few observations that might help with this:
1) I think you hit an important point with the 'exposure delay' . Adding 5 s between exposures has reduced crashes for me.
2) I have FAR fewer crashes (but not 0) when I run the Pi4 from an SSD with Swap enabled instead of from an SD card. The SD card is S-L-O-W and probably aggravates the data congestion the Pi4 can't handle.
3) FITS viewer on or off makes no difference for me.
4 years 1 month ago #48887

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Memory Leak

When you say crashes, do you mean memory leak (running out of memory) crashes, or any crashes (eg. standard memory corruption), or is it hard to tell?

So, is you're suspicion that it has to do with the saving of the file?

Are you talking about a fits camera, or a DSLR? A mono camera or an RGB camera?

Hy
4 years 1 month ago #48889

With 'crash' I mean Kstars quitting abruptly without any warning and the screen reverting to the Desktop. The few times I saw it happen, I did not see the memory maxing out. I have posted a few logs here before and the logs are interesting inasmuch the log is literally cut off in mid-sentence, even mid-word. The logger was writing normally, no warning and then - finito. Happened to me with DSLR, OSC and monochrome cameras.
I can't recognize a pattern. In fact, the same setup, no change in hardware or software updates, would run flawlessly through the night yesterday and record 500 frames, only to crash after 100 frames today.
And that only happens on the Pi4, my mini-PC (also with only 4GB RAM) runs just fine through the night.
Definitely Pi4 specific.
4 years 1 month ago #48892

Time to create page: 0.722 seconds