INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron iPolar scope

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Rafa Barberá on topic iOptron iPolar scope

I don't understand this. If the camera can be used as a standalone one, you can use it on the PAA, isn't it? What do I miss?
2 years 8 months ago #73518

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
PPA system on Ekos make 3 shoots on different sky position, moving the telescope in RA.
The iPolar scope is installed on same axis of RA and it rotate uppon this axis, but its position is the same at the start and at the end of the procedure.

You coult use it, by manually identify Polaris star and trying to move it to the center of the filed, using azimuth and altitude screws.
2 years 8 months ago #73520

"The iPolar scope is installed on same axis of RA and it rotate uppon this axis", that's all that is needed by the PAA. It looks at the different fields (the rotation is used to determine the center of rotation) and computes how far is this center of rotation to the real pole (I'm using PAA for more that a year).

So, I'm completly puzzle about why it doesn't work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gustav Olav Lundby
2 years 8 months ago #73521

I used the CEM70 for the first time few days ago, and before i used the EQ6.
When you run the PPA it suggest a movement to WEST of 30degrees and it move 2times and take 3pictures to calculate the polar deviation.
If you use the iPolar, you dont use the movement of 30+30degrees, but probably you have at the end a movement of few degree.
Greatest is the movement more precise should be the calculate of the polar deviation. 
This is just my opinion
2 years 8 months ago #73523

That point is what I don't understand. If the iPolar scopenrotates with the RA axis, and the PAA tries to rotate this axis 30º+30º, you will get three images rotated 30º between them, so, the PAA should be able to use those images to find the alignment.
2 years 8 months ago #73526

You obtain 3 images but on rotated basically on two same axis RA and DEC, because it is linked to the mount itself.
instead i use my main camera connected to the telescope and use PPA procedure, in this case you have a movement that is suitable for a better calculation of the PA
2 years 8 months ago #73527

If you don't have a significant cone error in your mount, rotating your main scope or the iPolar on the axis are about the same: frames rotates around the point in the sky your RA axis is pointing to. Both set of pictures will be equally useful to perform the calculation needed.

As you have the iPolar, could you be so kind to try it? It should work.

Regards
2 years 8 months ago #73528

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic iOptron iPolar scope

The issue with this camera is you cannot get sufficiently good image to solve, did this change?

It appears it cannot take an exposure more than a second as it is identified as a web cam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafa Barberá
2 years 8 months ago #73529

Jasem, thanks. That's a good reason to explain why the iPolar is not valid for PAA
2 years 8 months ago #73530

• Thank you received: 0
How can IOpron app manage to quickly plate solve with this camera then?

Currently I can select the IPolar as sensor. The only thing missing is the correct FOV which can be filled in manually. (I often do that when using a barlow). I wonder if I select the guide scope (120mm) to get closer to the focal length of IGuide, Will not the astrometrics be able to find the actual FOV ?. For instance train it with a couple of solves (without slew or sync) I will try this next clear night.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Gustav Olav Lundby.
2 years 6 months ago #75097

In KStars 3.5.4, the DMK driver see iPolar as device, probably because the DMK driver does not read the device specs, but it onlu look at /dev/videoX  device. 
After about 1hour to check all usb connections, reboots, changes of SD cards and other, it have to reset DMK configuration file then change the device port do /dev/video2
2 years 6 months ago #75185

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Steven Gross on topic iOptron iPolar scope

The settings for the iPolar in INDI are not correct. I can set them manually in INDI but it would be very helpful for those settings to be there when choosing the iPolar camera for instance for Polar Alignment in EKOS. The correct parameters from both internet search and what is in the iPolar Manual are: Focal Length - 25mm. Aperture - 30mm. (F/0.8), Chip 1280X960 - 3.75 microns X 3.75 microns. The approximate overall FOV is 13 degrees which is within the calculated FOV from the above data. Can this be updated? Thanks!!
10 months 3 weeks ago #92590

Time to create page: 0.858 seconds