INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Is ASTAP ready for seamless integration in EKOS?

• Thank you received: 155
I've seen a lot of discussion on using ASTAP instead of Astrometry - but most of it is either using ASTAP as a stand-alone ap, or requires some degree of programming skill.
Is it ready to be installed into EKOS with non-programmer instructions yet?

Peter
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
4 years 3 months ago #47039

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
It already is. It's true ASTAP must first be installed separately. But once it is the user can take advantage of it for plate solving within EKOS by selecting it vs. Astrometry.net.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
4 years 3 months ago #47040

Great! I installed the MAC OSX version and it worked great with KStars Mac.
How do I install it on my Ubuntu machine? Sorry I am not fluent in Linux.

Peter
4 years 3 months ago #47047

• Thank you received: 92
ASTAP is always provided as a Debian package. So installation is easy. The only difference for Linux is that you have to install the star database separately using a second Debian installer. The source code is available but it is written in Object Pascal so compiling is not an option for most if not all users. Note that it behaves differently then Astrometry.net, so check your binning and focal length & sensor size settings. Below again the checklist

ASTAP behaves differently then Astrometry.net. As long you adapt the settings for that , it will work fine:

- Resolution, the image height should be 1000 pixels or more. So adapt (decrease) binning.
- Stars shall be pretty round and reasonable in focus.
- FOV (field of view) shall be specified within 5 % accuracy for maximum reliability but detection is possible if FOV is 30 or 40% off. So set telescope focal ratio, sensor/pixel size correctly in INDI.
- Image shall not be severely saturated or stretched. RAW images works best.
- A minimum of about 20 to 30 stars should be visible (this could be just above noise level. Exposure time of 1 or 2 seconds can work)

The FOV is detected from the values in the FITS header. To check the FOV, start ASTAP from the applications menu Education and open an unsolved image in the ASTAP viewer. The image dimensions in degrees will be shown in the ASTAP status bar and are updated as soon you solve the image. If the dimensions change a lot (more then 5%) you better update the focal length and or sensor size settings in INDI.

Han
www.hnsky.org
4 years 3 months ago #47051

• Thank you received: 17
Would it be possible to put the ASTAP and database packages into indi/kstars's already existing ppa for even easier install with apt?

Is ASTAP using the header information written by ekos in a temporary fits file? I.e. if this info is wrong, ASTAP will fail to solve?
4 years 2 months ago #47058

I would not see the download rate which is less desirable. I have no problem that the PPA contains a version, but Jason should agree and he should update it if new versions are issued. But downloading and installing is very easy. This could be done by a few command lines. Once you have it, there is no need to update unless something very fundamental changes which is very unlikely..

ASTAP reads the FITS file and header from location \tmp as specified by Ekos. If the header is very wrong, solving will fail.

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: S
4 years 2 months ago #47066

Are the exact steps and code listed somewhere to install on my Ubuntu machine?
I need basic instructions, as I am not a programmer. The Mac OSX was easy as it was just one click install.
I do not know what commands to use, or addresses to enter to get the software.

Thanks!

Peter
4 years 2 months ago #47072

Hello Peter,

Go to
www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

For Ubuntu 64 bit do the following:

Download the Linux 64 bit program:
sourceforge.net/projects/astap-program/f...p_amd64.deb/download

Download star database:
sourceforge.net/projects/astap-program/f...e_mag17.deb/download

After the download:
Move the mouse cursor to the downloaded program file astap_amd64.deb, right mouse button click and select install Debian package.
Move the mouse cursor to the downloaded star database file g17_star_database_mag17.deb, right mouse button click and select install Debian package.

That's all. ASTAP is installed and ready to use. The program can be used byEKOS. You can also start the program as viewer / solver from the applications menu "Education"

p.s.
You can do the same for Linux 32 bit, Windows, or Linux Raspberry Pi 32 or 64 bit. Select then the correct program version from www.hnsky.org/astap.htm
Only the MacOS version has the star database included.

Han
4 years 2 months ago #47073

Thanks!
I tried both the Linux 32 and 64 bit versions but it came back with an error "wrong architecture".
I was doing this on my NanoPC T4 (Rockchip RK3399), running Ubuntu 16.04

Peter
4 years 2 months ago #47079

• Thank you received: 69
I would hazard a guess that your system is actually an arm64 system rather than amd, so try an intstaller based on ARM. I have it running on an Odroid without problems, using astap_arm64.deb.
4 years 2 months ago #47082

As Jerry said the NanoPC T4 is an arm computer so:

program, 64 bit arm version:
sourceforge.net/projects/astap-program/f...p_arm64.deb/download

if that doesn't work the 32 bit arm version:
sourceforge.net/projects/astap-program/f...p_armhf.deb/download

plus the universal star database probably already downloaded.
4 years 2 months ago #47085

Got it! Thanks!

Peter
4 years 2 months ago #47092

Time to create page: 0.803 seconds