INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere?

2 months 3 weeks ago
Kaczorek
More
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50568
Oh, La Serena! I visited the place last year for Solar Eclipse. Great place and the sky is just unbelievable! Not mentioning Elqui Valley!
Great move from Spain to Chile!

--
Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50569
Could the reason some, but not all southern observers experience this issue come down to different optics and the orientation they flip the image to?

INDI/KStars on Raspberry Pi 4, 4gb
Raspbian Buster with AstroPi3 script configuration
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount
Canon 600D Camera
Orion SSAG/ASI120mm @280mm Guide Scope
PHD2
Adafruit Motor Hat shield
Adafruit GPS Module
Generic Bluetooth Joystick.
Startech 7 port powered USB Hub.

2 months 3 weeks ago
wildi
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50603
Hello Wouter

I wrote a comment to your cloudy nights issue in thread:

ccd_simulator with transformation to telescope's HA system (Polar Alignment)

Kind regards, wildi

2 months 3 weeks ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50606
Hi Wildi,

Yes I just saw it. Great stuff! I hope it will help to pin down the source of this issue.

FYI I have cloned the KStars. libgphoto2, indi and indi-3rd party repos and compiled everything. I also modified the align.cpp code in KStars and reverted the fix that Jasem introduced for flipping the pink arrow when in the southern hemisphere. Hopefully I will be able to test it soon.

Wouter

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

2 months 3 weeks ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50709

knro wrote: There has been various reports about it being flipped before, and so I added a flip to reverse the effect. Maybe this is what caused it?

<code>
// JM 2019-08-17: Flip for southern hemisphere.
// Possible fix for: indilib.org/forum/ekos/5558-ekos-polar-a...ector-backwards.html
correctionVector.setP1((hemisphere == NORTH_HEMISPHERE) ? celestialPolePoint : RACenterPoint);
correctionVector.setP2((hemisphere == NORTH_HEMISPHERE) ? RACenterPoint : celestialPolePoint);
</code>

Frankly, I still don't understand why it is reversed on some occasions. Perhaps someone can figure this out? It's been an issue for some users even since the PAA was introduced.

Jasem,

Tonight finally I was able to test reverting those lines and polar alignment for me went back to normal again. Perhaps a checkbox can be introduced to flip the pink arrow for those having issues until this has been sorted out?

Wouter

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R
The following user(s) said Thank You pug916

2 months 3 weeks ago
wildi
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50718
Hello Wouter and Jasem

Wouter, in the mean time the ccd simulator where you can set the position of the HA axis is available (see ccd_simulator with transformation to telescope's HA system (Polar Alignment) ).

Jasem, I guess I have no commit access any more :-)) How should I proceed? I described everything necessary in the mentioned thread.

Kind regards, wildi

2 months 3 weeks ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50739

wildi wrote: Hello Wouter and Jasem

Wouter, in the mean time the ccd simulator where you can set the position of the HA axis is available (see ccd_simulator with transformation to telescope's HA system (Polar Alignment) ).

Jasem, I guess I have no commit access any more :-)) How should I proceed? I described everything necessary in the mentioned thread.

Kind regards, wildi

Markus, commit access to INDI you mean? You can submit a PR on Github. For KStars, it's via KDE's Phabricator system.

Wouter, I suppose a checkbox can be introduced, but why does this happen? and how can we identify it? If we simply add a checkbox then the user would have to learn first hand the proposed direction is wrong and then flips it. Is there a way to know that ourselves?

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

2 months 2 weeks ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50747
So I ended up adding that checkbox after all. It's only a temporary measure though until the root issue is idenfitied.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
The following user(s) said Thank You wvreeven

2 months 2 weeks ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #50757
You ask very valid questions Jasem which unfortunately I cannot answer. I didn't check the code for a potential bug. I merely reverted those two lines to what they were before by looking at the git commit of August 18 2019 IIRC, recompiled and showed that it works for me like that. In any case, thanks for adding the checkbox. I will switch to INDI nightly and test when the weather permits to see if it works for me and stops working as soon as I check that check box.

Wouter

2 months 1 week ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #51339
Over the past nights I have used KStars nightly and I'd like to report that for me the behavior of the polar alignment has been restored. I noticed the checkbox but I haven't tried it. Thanks a lot for the quick action Jasem!

2 months 4 days ago
BigNoel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #51434
Hi - I had the opportunity tonight to capture a log from my rig while performing a polar alignment. Hopefully it has enough details to be useful to someone.
I'm in the southern hemisphere and currently using a canon 650D DSLR on an 8" newtonian with a Skywatcher EQ6-R via EQMOD.

I experience the same issue mentioned in this topic.

I was able to polar align my mount by placing the vector in reverse. IE - not clicking on a bright reference star to place the crosshair over in, but instead clicking in empty space so as to place the end of the vector over the reference star refer to screenshot the subsequent screenshot shows a new iteration of the routine showing an improved alignment from the previous iteration

Log file

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-12-53.txt
File Size:4,702 KB

Cheers.
Attachments:

2 months 4 days ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere? #51435
Thanks for the report. The issue has been fixed and the fix will be available in the next release of KStars. If you are adventurous you might consider switching to the nightly builds and give the fix a try. Do note, however, that the nightly builds are not meant to used for real imaging but only for testing.

Wouter

Time to create page: 0.641 seconds