INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

8" SCT - online plate solving timed out

• Thank you received: 3
I've been using an 80mm APO scope on a CEM25p with fairly good results. I've also used the 80mm on my DIY EqMod mount. Last night, I decided to try my 8" SCT on the DIY EqMod mount. Focus was spot on but I could not get the alignment module to solve. The image would upload, I'd get the message waiting for astrometry.net, and then it would sit there until timing out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Any ideas?
4 years 2 months ago #48676

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
Have you tried to solve the image manually at

nova.astrometry.net/

?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
4 years 2 months ago #48681

I did not try that.

I'll give it another go tonight, weather permitting.
4 years 2 months ago #48685

• Thank you received: 4
Hello,
Perhaps an idea. I had the same problem with a meade Sc 8" and an atik 314L+ (So with a small field).
When I change the back focus with the camera (because I use a fliterwheel or not, ...), to focus it changes the position of the primary miror. So the focal change.
And with a 6.3 reductor, the focal is not necessary 1260.

Now, I have resolved the field of an image with astrometry.net, I noticed the focale, and I reported it in Kstars/Ekos (For me, it is 1170, not 1260). And I try to have always the same backfocus.
And I try not to touch the position of the primary miror to focus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
4 years 2 months ago #48775

Thank you for that. Very interesting.

I am a but embarrassed, but in a good way because I learned some stuff. ;)

Following the suggestion, I upoaded an image to astrometry.net and it solved. I had to download some more index files, but even then I couldn't get a solution. The embarrassment is that when I went back through my profile, I saw that I had created the 8" SCT entry but had NOT selected it. So, Ekos was trying to solve the image from the SCT as if it were from my 80mm. D'OH!

After that, I was able to solve around Polaris, but the solver said I'd need another index file for plate solving in general, and it was 8.xGB and I decided to get that today (which I have). So, I *should* be ready for tonight!
4 years 2 months ago #48785

Time to create page: 0.630 seconds