INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding problem using EKOS

• Thank you received: 102
In the guide tab in Ekos, make sure you select "EQMod" next to "Via" and not your guide camera. Selecting your guide camera will attempt to send the guiding corrections via the ST4 port, but as you said, you have nothing plugged in there. Hence, no guide pulses will reach the mount!

3 years 10 months ago #52905
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Guiding problem using EKOS

Petarm,

the mount did receive correction pulses for a while and guiding in RA was OK then. From looking at the graph it is clear the correction pulses for larger aberrations were way too short. When the RA error grows, Ekos has to send longer correction pulses in order to move the guide star back to the baseline. For whatever reason it didn't do that. RA guiding was OK as long as the RA error was small. What are your settings in max pulse? Try 1000 in both RA and DE. (I'm aware this probably won't fix it as when the RA error grew, Ekos should have sent correction pulses of max duration which it didn't.)

What also strikes me is the fact that all proper correction pulses go in the same direction (positive correction pulse values). Why there are no negative values being sent is beyond me. Did you watch the internal guider calibrate?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 10 months ago #52937

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Guiding problem using EKOS

On second thought it appears clear to me that Ekos simply did send RA correction pulses in one direction only. When the guide star deviated to positive territory, Ekos did not send (any/sufficiently long) correction pulses. Once the guide star deviated into negative territory, Ekos DID send appropriate correction pulses and prevented it from deviating further into negative territory. Once the guide star reverted direction again, correction pulses were either too short or non-existent again.

Are you sure all ticks are properly set like in this screenshot? I have a hunch like one of them was missing in your configuration.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 10 months ago #52960
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 28
Hi All, thanks for your responses. The weather hasn't been the best here, so i haven't had a chance to check your suggestions.

Leave it with me, hopefully over the weekend i can do some tests and report back.

regards
3 years 10 months ago #52981

Hi all so similar issues to before. So I uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

It's now guiding with no issues. Looks like something was half baked in my last apt upgrade.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
3 years 10 months ago #53115

• Thank you received: 182
So uninstalling and reinstalling fixed your problem? That is very weird.

Alfred and kross, while you are at it, perhaps you could also take a look at my logs and see what is going on here. I have a very strange problem in DEC guiding only. It cropped up about a week ago. Guiding was never the most accurate on this iOptron mount, because of a very large periodic error (cheap gears), but I thought I had it under control and then this problem happened.

indilib.org/forum/ekos/6895-guiding-in-d...ron-mount.html#53099

Key is looking at whether delta [ 1 ] which I believe describes the deviation in DEC is negative or positive. In RA, negative delta [ 0 ] results in positive (increasing) pulses to compensate. By contrast, in DEC negative delta [ 1 ] evokes DECREASING pulses, and positive delta [ 1 ] values evoke INCREASING pulses, thereby driving the mount further and further away until guide deviation hits the previously defined threshold, and guiding ceases until a new or the same guide start has been reacquired. Then the game starts all over again.

I may be wrong, but I think this is where the rabbit lies in the pepper (Alfred will know what that means).

Any ideas and has anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Jo
3 years 10 months ago #53124

So you are right. For some reason last night it was guiding with no issue. I left everything setup. Got up early this morning to capture C/2020 F8 Swan. And that issue reappeared. Everything ok for about 90 seconds and then RA went off on its merry way again.

As suggested by Kross I checked to see if all corrections were ticked on and they were. I played with the aggressiveness as suggested by krno with no luck.

So not too loose another session I just set the automatic guide star rest of RMS exceeded 3 just to capture the comet.

Now I I don't know what to do.

Again I tried phd2 with the default settings with no issues.

Regards Petar
3 years 10 months ago #53148

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds