INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Does anyone have a example start-up/shutdown script I can use?

• Thank you received: 1
Hah, ha yes! Cool the camera of course. Thanks for the info.

So what function do the startup/shutdown scripts serve?

Rene
3 years 11 months ago #52220

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
From www.indilib.org/individuals/ekos-kstars/...-ekos-scheduler.html it says the script can be any language that can be executed on the local machine.

"Startup and shutdown scripts can be written any language that can be executed on the local machine. It must return 0 to report success, any other exist value is considered an error indicator."

I'm working on startup/cooldown and shutdown/warmup scripts that are executable bash and work at the console, but I'm having issues running them in the context of Ekos. The startup script gives an error "cannot run startup procedure while indi devices are not online", but all my devices are online. Running the shutdown script starts and outputs to the indi console, so I know it is starting, but then it hangs. I suspect there's a detail I need to work out with permissions perhaps, but the odd thing is when I terminate the script, it keeps restarting again. I had to close kstars completely to get out of the loop.

Happy to share what I have working, but I'm hoping someone chimes in with some tips. I haven't found anything of relevance to the error I'm getting, and very little in the way of resources for these scripts other than that one online man page.
3 years 2 months ago #65437

• Thank you received: 3
1 year 11 months ago #81899

• Thank you received: 5
The start script that you are looking for could be realised in the scheduler. Maybe there is a better way, but this is how I do it: create a sequence (exposure time and number, gain etc ) and save it to a file, ending is *.esq. This is a text file, just open it with the text editor and look for the parameter 'force temperature '. Change status from false to true and enter the desired value, e.g. -10.0 and save the file. In the scheduler enter an object or load a reference frame to set the target coordinates and load the edited esq file. Keep slew, guide and track ticked and if applicable for your setup also focus. Add this sequence to the schedule and press play. When the job can be run, it slews to the target, focuses, starts guiding, cools the camera and starts the exposures.
Hope this is of help.
Alex

Gesendet von meinem SM-T510 mit Tapatalk
1 year 11 months ago #81938

Sorry, tablet reported the post could not be sent, but it was, which I realised after pressing send 4 times.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Alexander Weis. Reason: Can't seem to fully delete my repeated posts, sorry.
1 year 11 months ago #81939

Sorry, tablet reported the post could not be sent, but it was, which I realised after pressing send 4 times.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Alexander Weis. Reason: Cannot fully delete my own post
1 year 11 months ago #81940

The start script that you are looking for could be realised in the scheduler. Maybe there is a better way, but this is how I do it: create a sequence (exposure time and number, gain etc ) and save it to a file, ending is *.esq. This is a text file, just open it with the text editor and look for the parameter 'force temperature '. Change status from false to true and enter the desired value, e.g. -10.0 and save the file. In the scheduler enter an object or load a reference frame to set the target coordinates and load the edited esq file. Keep slew, guide and track ticked and if applicable for your setup also focus. Add this sequence to the schedule and press play. When the job can be run, it slews to the target, focuses, starts guiding, cools the camera and starts the exposures.
Hope this is of help.
Alex

Gesendet von meinem SM-T510 mit Tapatalk
1 year 11 months ago #81941

• Thank you received: 41
I was just looking for this too.

I believe that it could be a feature on the Observatory Start-Up procedure, just like the Warm CCD on the Observatory Shutdown Procedure.

As far as I can understand the T value here - I believe the same that Alexander above changes through the text file - while you use the scheduler comes after all the steps (track, focus, align, guide).

What would be really helpful is the option to pre-cool the camera:
1. Unpark Dome
2. Unpark Mount
3. Unpark Cap
4. Cool the camera at the specified value, when reached proceed on the 1st sequence.

PS. The 4 could be 1 too, but it would be easier for the cooler to drop the temp after the dome is open, not while is closed.

Last edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by Euripides.
7 months 4 weeks ago #94244
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 9
A script with the ability to delay dome parking a period of time after parking mount would come in handy. I am running a remote observatory where there are multiple setup wwith different telescope parking time, on an emergency, having the ability for a setup to wait a minutes for every other mount to park before closing the ROR is important.
6 months 3 weeks ago #95471

A script with the ability to delay dome parking a period of time after parking mount would come in handy. I am running a remote observatory where there are multiple setup wwith different telescope parking time, on an emergency, having the ability for a setup to wait a minutes for every other mount to park before closing the ROR is important.
6 months 3 weeks ago #95472

• Thank you received: 25
My opinion...
Generally depending on software control for tasks that can result in damage or injury is a bad idea. Too many things can go wrong "one time in a million" that you don't expect. Especially with 'high level' software running on an OS.
You should ideally have electrical interlocks between the mounts and the roof controller. The mounts should signal when they are parked safely and then allow the roof to move.
Software can initiate the actions and monitor but it shouldn't be your only defence against disaster.
There's not a simple 'one size fits all' solution. You need to treat your setup as a whole and look at possible failure modes. A large part of this will come down to how you are controlling the roof.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nguyễn Trọng Minh
6 months 3 weeks ago #95473

Thanks Ed, I already have a area sensor that prevent the motor from running if the mount are not fully parked. But still, the ability to custom, delay or change the order of the shutdown procedure is really handy to have.
6 months 3 weeks ago #95474

Time to create page: 1.515 seconds