INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Fokus check should be done with the NEXT scheduled filter and not with current

• Thank you received: 2
I would treat this as a bug.

If HFR check is enabled, the focus check will be done after each capture. In next Sequence is shown in Summary Tab with the correct filter, but the Focus check and possible refocus process is done with the previous filter, which may occur into a direct refocus after the next image.

This behaviour makes no sense.
3 years 11 months ago #52512

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
Honestly, I don't quite understand the focus check functionality, and haven't used that feature. What it does, I think, is after the standard "sub" capture (e.g. let's say 240s exposure), it does another "focus" capture (let's say 5s) and evaluates the HFR on that. If the HFR is too large, then it runs autofocus (and perhaps, has the filter issue you describe above).

Here's the way I think it should work. I think there is no need for a 2nd "focus" capture, and rather the HFR should just be evaluated on the current "sub" image. So, if you were shooting a sequence of 50 4-minute captures, when the HFR on one of the "subs" from the sequence got too large, then autofocus would start up. If you switched filters, then you might run autofocus on the filter switch, and you could also have this "sub" focus check going.

I have recently added a change to the nightly build to start along that path, but haven't yet implemented anything like I described. Does this seem reasonable? Would you prefer the current or the proposed functionality--e.g. if I do implement this, should I leave in the current functionality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
3 years 11 months ago #52518

• Thank you received: 31
As I understand it, it looks at the image just captured and determines the HFR before deciding to do a focus run.
I assume, if the next image is through another filter it should change to that filter first.
If the change on new filter or after time options are selected then the above checking is not required unless it does not meet those criteria.
This is going to be more complicated if the filter to use for focusing is set differently to the imaging filter.
Paul
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Paul. Reason: grammar / spelling / correction / addition
3 years 11 months ago #52519

The current implemented process is:

Let's say the configure sequence is 4*L, 2*R, and 5s for Focus checking

1. with L: 240s light
2. with L: 5s focus check image
3. with L: 240s light
4. with L: 5s focus check image
5. with L: 240s light
6. with L: 5s focus check image ... but next filter will be R, Ekos knows it because the summary page already knows the next sequence
7. with R: 240s light
8. with R: 5s focus check image
9. with R: 240s light

A separate image makes sense, because a longer expouse may follow into higher hfr values and will never match to the hfr value of much shorter exposures while focus process.

cs pmneo
3 years 11 months ago #52529

• Thank you received: 31
cs pmneo ,

Does it capture the focus image at full resolution?
Also, if you have it set to use another filter for focusing, then it must select it first, and after go to the required filter.

Paul
3 years 11 months ago #52531

Ekos changes the Filter in the Focus Tab automatically to the last captured Filter, changing the Filter there is transient.
I think this is ok, because maybe some Filters are not identical in focus. The Autofocus is just done a bit to early. I don't know what the trigger exactly is. But it seems to be the next planned capture, because no check is done after last capture. It just makes no sense to autofocus with a not longer used Filter.

cs
3 years 11 months ago #52533

I can confirm this bug, the capture module does not check the next filter in the sequence before running this.
3 years 11 months ago #52534

• Thank you received: 161
Clearly your proposal is the way to go IMO.
3 years 11 months ago #52560

Time to create page: 1.073 seconds