INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How does Ekos set the environment temperature?

• Thank you received: 2
Hello,
The feature is under review here:
phabricator.kde.org/D29821
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 10 months ago #54216

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
Also, while recently distracted by AD archive tool and PHD2 logViewer support (and trying to get some dark time imaging in as well), I do still intend to investigate adding the "else clause" referenced at the beginning of this thread so that folks with more generalized temperature sensors (e.g. PPB, PPB-V2) can have correlated focus/temperature log entries. I hope this data will lead to real-time, temperature based focus adjustments between images. Ideally, for well behaved setups, this could reduce the need for full focusing runs to start of night and/or one-off adjustments.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 10 months ago #54226

• Thank you received: 420

Please let us know when this has been merged so those of us using the nightly builds can start testing this.
3 years 10 months ago #54228

KStars migrated to Gitlab: invent.kde.org/education/kstars

So please re-submit the PR there so it can be reviewed and merged.
3 years 10 months ago #54229

• Thank you received: 69
invent.kde.org/education/kstars says:
Development
Important Note: Do not submit Pull Requests to Github. KStars repository on Github is just a mirror. All PRs will be closed automatically. To send patches to KStars, please use KDE's Phabricator system.

So I'm confused on the current interaction between Gitlab and Phabricator
3 years 10 months ago #54237

I need to fix that.. it's still true not to submit to Github, but instead to KDE's Gitlab
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
3 years 10 months ago #54238

Hello,

How do I submit it to gitlab?
Thanks.

Regards,
Florian
3 years 10 months ago #54241

3 years 10 months ago #54296

• Thank you received: 69

Is there a similar plan to migrate github.com/indilib/indi and github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty to a new repository?

Thanks
Jerry
3 years 10 months ago #54298

No, INDI is a different project than KStars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
3 years 10 months ago #54331

FYI, a code patch was submitted yesterday to both broaden the base of captured temperature sensors for focus logging (PPB, V2, and other temperature sensors seen by the observatory tab), and also to add a dedicated autofocus log containing correlated fields for each successful autofocus. The format is a single header line + data lines as follows:

date, time, position, temperature, filter, HFR
2020-06-01, 15:06:53, 42578, 15.0, Red, 1.119
2020-06-01, 15:07:53, 42443, 15.0, Red, 1.19

Hopefully, this will be a step towards better focus control for everyone. Code is awaiting approval. cheers, Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, jiberjaber
3 years 9 months ago #54979

Back to the earlier idea of temperature and elevation based focus compensation for an update. Over the last couple of months, I've used the autofocus log to map out temperature and elevation focus position dependencies for my gear. I'll note we should have added elevation to the autofocus log entries; we're going to need that (automation). The path forward to a focus position model seems fairly straight forward.

The idea is pretty simple (shown in Excel for POC). Use autofocus log to plot measured focuser positions vs temperatures with a trendline (function). The coefficients of that function define the focus temperature model. Going further, if you subtract the trend function output from each focus measurement, you create a residual. Plot the residuals set against elevations with a 2nd trendline (function), and you have the additional coefficients for the focus elevation model. Using temperature alone, or temp+el functions, a good/better starting autofocus focuser position can be determined. Longer term, more dynamic options present themselves.

Why bother? Well, as others have noted, if you don't start autofocus from a good starting position (seed), solution time can add up quickly. Worse, a bad seed could escape the solution envelope entirely. To implement this within Ekos, we don't need graphs. We could survive with off-line plot analysis + a couple of radio control buttons (enable/disable temp & el compensation separately). We'd also need fields for the function coefficients (linear + offset for each function could work, but 2nd order coeffs might be desirable for some focusers). The seed should be auto-generated/displayed. It could be enabled for auto use, or just calculated (for manual eval/entry). I attach a couple plots to show the idea. The trendline functions are shown at top/left in each plot (combined for Temp+el at top). The green line at the bottom is a simple calculator for the seed (using temp, el inputs). Long term, and for stable/well defined focuser setups, a dynamic delta el focuser update might allow for longer imaging runs between autofocus events. Comments?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Doug S.
3 years 6 months ago #59127
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.851 seconds