INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems with image capture during focusing and polar alignment

• Thank you received: 3
I have a ZWO ASI533 that I’m using with StellarMate on a rpi4. I have the latest SM release though it was probably 2 months old until today. Today I updated everything using apt-get and am now having issues related to image capture during focusing and polar alignment. When focusing, the image seems to look very pixelated / low bit depth when zoomed in like it’s been converted to something like 2-4 bits per pixel. Before the update, out of focus stars would be very smooth and it was clear what you were looking at. With the current behavior, the auto focus routine seems to have a hard time identifying stars and properly computing their focus values.

In a somewhat similar vein, polar alignment has gotten very difficult. Once the process gets to refreshing for tweaking alignment, the stars constantly blink in and out of existence - even ones that appear bright to start change regularly. And adjustments made while exposing, previously would produce nice movement lines for each star but now produce inconsistent dots / dotted lines. Again it’s like there is some sort of downsampling or down resing going on. I finally gave up tonight after spending almost three hours trying to get focused and aligned.

I did not have his problem last night before I updated. (I did have other problems, but those were mostly on me.)
3 years 10 months ago #54459

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Check INDI Control Panel --> Controls and make sure bit depth is 16bit.
3 years 10 months ago #54475

D'oh!

I actually went looking for a control like this last night but missed this one (though to be fair, its at the bottom of the rightmost "Controls" page and starts out as the only line scrolled off of the bottom. I had assumed it would be in Image Settings and Image Info showed 14 bits (though that really is the sensor info I suppose). I had also tried creating a new profile in the hopes that might clear any settings, though I suppose the design is to preserve the individual device settings between profiles. Had I not been so tired I would have thought to just reset the settings (though I'm not clear on the difference between 'Default' and 'Purge' in Options:Configuration). Something must have gone wrong after the upgrade as the default for the format is "Raw 16 Bit" and I did not touch it.

In any case that should resolve the issue I was seeing. Thank you.
3 years 10 months ago #54482
Attachments:

To see if there were any other unexpected settings, I diff'ed the settings .xml file vs. the default and noticed that "MonoBin" was set to 0 instead of the default of 1.
3 years 10 months ago #54489

Time to create page: 0.781 seconds