INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Quick Controls Widget?

When using some cameras that expose Gain/Offset/White Balance/Gamma/Brightness controls, I often find myself jumping to INDI control panel to change these. I've been thinking if it is perhaps desirable to have a widget or floating control window where you can "quick-set" these variables. The capture module is already full so perhaps a small button next to "Custom Property" that would toggle this window on/off ... So what should be there exactly? Should we use QML or regular widget?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Studio, Jose Corazon, Eivind
3 years 10 months ago #54545

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by T-Studio on topic Quick Controls Widget?

I think it's a great idea.

In the case of another window, I think that it is difficult to operate depending on the function, so make it easier to access with tabs etc. in the module,
It would be nice to add a configuration module that can perform the required operations suggested earlier.

www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/3629-what-s-n....html?start=12#28978
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by T-Studio.
3 years 10 months ago #54547

I think Ekos is a great integrated environment like no other, but it doesn't have the ability to interact and adjust with Live View.

It is convenient to be able to adjust the focus, gain, and color while watching the live view.
(It would be even better if you could do live stacking)
3 years 10 months ago #54548

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Quick Controls Widget?

Live stacking takes a lot of resources, probably too much to ask on a Pi4 without causing problems with other essential Ekos functions. Besides, you could just run Astro Live Stacker in parallel to achieve the same.
3 years 10 months ago #54550

Jasem,

The one thing I am missing most in the Capture Module is the ability to adjust not only gain, but also Offset. I often keep forgetting that the only way to change the Offset in a sequence is to go into the Control panel, define gain and Offset there, then apply those controls in the Capture Module so that they carry over into the .esq file. And short of opening the .esq file in a text editor and checking whether this has translated into the saved sequence there is no indication in the Capture module to do that.

Having the gain adjustment in the Capture Module without the ability to also change the Offset at the same time hampers the usability, since gain and Offset are directly related and both must be adjusted at the same time to get the optimal result from the exposures.

Best

Jo

PS: Gamma, Brightness and White Balance are probably less important, since the primary goal is to capture RAW images where all these parameters can be applied during processing.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 10 months ago #54551

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Eivind on topic Quick Controls Widget?

Great! I’ve been wanting capture controls in the fits viewer. l.e. exposure time, gain, start, stop. And perhaps focus. Integrated in the viewer (the same way as the histogram split view) is better for my usage pattern than a floating widget that can hide other stuff or become hidden.
3 years 10 months ago #54569

I am not sure how that would work. Once the FITS file is acquired, it is too late to change the .esq Sequence file that controls the raw data acquisition in the scheduler.

Can you explain how you see that integration in the FITS viewer to feed back on the saved .esq file?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 10 months ago #54570

I think adding this function is an operational problem.

In many other applications, you can adjust gain, offset, color balance, focus, mount position, and more while viewing the live view.

It would be very convenient if you could make all adjustments before shooting.

(I think you can refer to the ASI AirPro interface, SBC, etc. that operate with the same driver.

ASI AirPro can also add live stacking. )
3 years 10 months ago #54580

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Eivind on topic Quick Controls Widget?

It's only for live view during framing and focusing. Once the sequence is running, you go to bed :-)
Not everyone is running sequences. I think a manual work flow is common for beginners and quick OSC imaging sessions.

We already have the mount control widget for slewing and gotos, and a similar panel for capture, focusing and solver would be nice - especially if they were integrated in a tabbed manner in the FITS viewer. With smaller screens, it is easier to have everything available in a maximized viewer window, than having to rescale and move multiple windows to get everything into place .
3 years 10 months ago #54583

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Quick Controls Widget?

So quick control to change gain/offset/brightness..etc can be displayed when live view is enabled. or should we get something like mount control panel that can be toggled on and off at anytime but it is a separate window?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 10 months ago #54603

Speaking strictly for myself, either would be fine, as long as it translates back into the capture module and allows specifying the offset there.

Also, would it possible to show the offset value in the sequence list in the capture module next to the gain and number of images planned so one can do a real time check in the capture module to make sure all the parameters are checked as intended and correct?

When taking LRGB-HOS exposures, I usually use 0 gain for L, 60 gain for RGB, 240 gain for Ha, 180 gain for O3 and 270 gain for S2 with the ASI1600. Each of these gain values requires a different offset value and currently it is extremely cumbersome to compose the sequence file and make sure the offset is correctly set for each filter. Even having just a small box where one can type them in in the Capture module next to the gain pulldown box would be an enormous help.
3 years 10 months ago #54607

Time to create page: 0.458 seconds