INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Plate solving does not work, but I can do it online on the astrometery.net site

• Thank you received: 3
Hi
I downloaded all the files for Astrometery.net included recommended and optional (totalling about 30GiG)
When I upload my FITS to the astrometry.net website, ir can solve the plate

Spent 9.176 s user, 0.176 s system, 9.352 s total, 9.34945 s wall time.

But when I try to "Load and Slew" the FIT on EKOS align panel ( I am using simulators profile for testing) it just times out after 180s

nova.astrometry.net/status/3623351

Here are some FITS from this session
mega.nz/folder/jUkX0YLK#oCrEge7gZEXj5uSr5z6vyg
3 years 9 months ago #55965

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 92
The online solver is better then the older local version (v0.38). The online version has also a better (copyrighted) star database .

The image is difficult to solve. Many hot pixels and poor stars due to long focal length a poor seeing. Maybe also focus. It is possible that the image can only be solved by the online solver. An other reason could be missing index files for the small FOV.

The image is highly oversampled. Both for the image quality and solving a focal reducer could help. An other solution could be to use the guide scope for solving if any.

Han
3 years 9 months ago #55990

Thanks.

Guide scope was slightly out of line with the Edge HD. Which will always be the case on such small focal lengths.

Yes the image is over sampled even with the focal reducer.
Seeing was not too good. My first outing with my Qhy 183c

I did use binning to take care of oversampling through and it should have done a decent job. Anyways, I have now downloaded all the files for ASTAP as well as Astrometery.net

On my next outing I will try again and see what happens.
3 years 9 months ago #55994

Since your using INDI, so Linux I was incorrect about the Astrometry.net version. In Linux you can have the latest Astrometry.net version. But using the correct settings can help like binning or limit the number of objects. Still the online star database of Astrometry.net is better

If your using ASTAP with this small field it is better to use the G18 catalog and remove the G17 catalog. But for these difficult images, Astrometry.net could be better. For ASTAP you can filter out hot pixels with a minimum size or by calibration with a dark but first try it with Astrometry.net since it will be the best change of success.

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tanveer Singh
3 years 9 months ago #55996

YThanks for the tip

I am using Raspberry Pi using Stellarmate OS - Pi 4
3 years 9 months ago #55997

Hi Han,
Once more question. I downloaded the zip file for G18 and copied all files in the diretory where G17 was there. Do I need to delete G17. If I do that will I be able to plate solve if I use a wider FOV?
3 years 9 months ago #56008

Once you have the G18 up to magnitude 18 there is no need for the G17. The G18 will work also for wide field. Inside ASTAP you can configure to use the G18 but the G17 will just take disk space, so best is to uninstall/remove.

A few days ago I added a Debian installer for G18. The .290 files from the zip file have to be extracted and copied or moved to /opt/astap

-- Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tanveer Singh
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by han.
3 years 9 months ago #56009

Thanks, I unzipped g18...zip in the opt/astrap directory, and then did a rm g17_* I guess that should work.
3 years 9 months ago #56045

• Thank you received: 38
I have noticed that when I plate solve, I get better results from a well focused main camera image, and reducing the offset of the main camera. I set mine to like 4 or something, then up it back for main imaging.

That may help.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Sonny Cavazos.
3 years 9 months ago #56064

3 years 9 months ago #56065

• Thank you received: 38
In the device panel for the camera (Imaging camera) you are using. The offset is used to push the image up a little from the 0 signal level. Normally I have it set to 10 or 14 or something like that, but when I plate solve, I drop it down if I am having issues.

I plate solve with a capture time of 10 - 20 seconds too. Don't know how long you are capturing an image.
3 years 9 months ago #56096

Time to create page: 0.964 seconds