INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Internal Guider Features

• Thank you received: 559
Sorry I haven't cleaned this up yet, and thanks for your question. My intention is to make this more obvious.

GPG, when enabled, completely controls the response to RA error (but not the DEC error). So, RA Proportional Gain, RA Integral Gain and RA Minimum Pulse from that Control Tab are ignored when GPG is used (the DEC values are used, as GPG is not involved in DEC guiding). It turns out the RA Maximum pulse is used for RA and DEC. Maximum pulse is sort of a safeguard that wasn't implemented in the Klenske's GPG code , and so I kept it in place.

The GPG parameters themselves are a bit tricky. I did not modify them from their original form, and you can see how they're used in the code we got from Max Planck Institute / Edgar Klenske:
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/m...cess_guider.cpp#L344
and I might add, I am very grateful for the use of that amazing code.

Here's a summary of the gory detail from that link:

Basically it blends the control error:

line 344:    
    control_signal_ = parameters.control_gain_ * input;

where "input" is the arcsecond guiding error in RA, and control_gain_ is that parameter in the GPG RA Guider Menu you showed
and combines it with a predicted error it's learned from its history

lines 363-364:
    prediction_ = PredictGearError(prediction_point + time_step);
    control_signal_ += parameters.prediction_gain_ * prediction_; // add the prediction

and then backs off a bit more if it hasn't had enough time to be confident in its predictions

lines 368-374:
     if (get_last_point().timestamp < parameters.min_periods_for_inference_ * period_length) {
        double percentage = get_last_point().timestamp / (parameters.min_periods_for_inference_ * period_length);
        percentage = std::min(percentage, 1.0); // limit to 100 percent GP
        hyst_percentage = 1.0 - percentage;
        control_signal_ = percentage * control_signal_ + (1.0 - percentage) * hysteresis_control;
    }

Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Hy Murveit.
2 years 11 months ago #69928

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
Thank you very much Hy. This is just what I was looking for.
2 years 11 months ago #69933

• Thank you received: 2
So far I'm loving all the new improvements in EKOS, I did have some issues with GPG RA though.
I had set the Major Period to 720 for my AZ-EQ6, unchecked estimate and left everything else as is. Trouble was that the RA started climbing through the roof after a while. Had to restart guiding and it would settle but then climb again after maybe 30 to 50 minutes. 
I reset to the default value of 480 last night and had no issues. Not sure why 480 works and 720 doesn't .

2 years 8 months ago #73710

• Thank you received: 102
Isn't the worm period of the AZ-EQ6 the same as the EQ6-R Pro, i.e. 478.69 seconds? Why are you trying to force it to 720 seconds?
2 years 8 months ago #73715

Hi Kevin, the only info I could find says the worm is 720:1, so presumed that was correct. Apparently not, I'll tweak it to the figure you mention.
2 years 8 months ago #73716

Had another freak out in RA again last night. GPG RA set to 479s.
Reset to default, enables and estimate checked and it settled down for the rest of the night. Estimated Major Period ended up at 2298s.

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Mark Rose.
2 years 8 months ago #73772
Attachments:

On another note, resetting the GPG RA to default also cancels dithering and dither settle time so must remember to rest those.
2 years 8 months ago #73773

Time to create page: 0.696 seconds