INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focal position not recording into fits headers

• Thank you received: 23
Agreed - owning three EFW's I would prefer they did their job without having to buy something more expensive. Based on my own testing, and yours form what you shared below (THANKS!), unidirectional seems to be the penultimate optimal setting, with an automated Flat capture immediately after shooting Lights - same focus position, same filter wheel position, etc - being the most reliable (if you have the hardware and automation to support it).

To be honest, I'd not really had to worry about this until I tried using the large frame-count integrations using the High Gain/Low Exposure method championed by Shiraz over in Cloudynights - any misalignment between sessions becomes really evident, so I've taken to shooting multiple targets using one filter each night at really high frame counts and then flats in the morning and rinse/repeat over each night - where that strategy falls over is when the weather fails to cooperate and you get 2-3 weeks of drift over the run, making targets lower in the sky more difficult than they already were!

Really love your website btw Andrew - the Mac has always felt like a poor cousin to Windows in the astro world and your passion project is an inspiration!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Burwell
3 years 6 months ago #59654

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 139
Thanks for the compliments on the website. I've seen traffic more than double every year with a steady clip of a few thousand every week now from all over the world. Just shows how many people really have a desire for Mac applications. Thanks to the INDI community there's support now for the majority of the hardware on Linux and Mac.

Regarding the filter wheel. I too would occasionally shoot all one filter each night, especially when doing narrowband. But recently I started returning to sequences that rotate the filters every hour so that I could refocus, and maintain an even number of frames per object if I got caught up with a string of bad weather. But it's those sequences that started messing up the flats, and I didn't realize it at the time until this post where I started to examine what was happening very closely. If I did a sequence of 30 2 min HA, SII, and OIII, and set it to repeat each night, after finishing OIII the filter wheel would move in reverse and stop at HA. So half my frames would have the filter wheel orientation from clockwise approach, and half from counterclockwise approach, and I was never able to fully remove the dust motes. I just thought I was doing something wrong. But now, with unidirectional movement enabled, I'm pretty confident I will be able to do sequences with no problem.

Just need to get that updated driver installed.
3 years 6 months ago #59679

• Thank you received: 133

Confirmed, it works like a charm now :cheer:
3 years 6 months ago #59680

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds