INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to create a cloud sensor for a part of the sky?

• Thank you received: 3
Hello
So indeed it looks good, but I admit not having understood all because my English is not as good as before.
Does he put a simple all sky style camera or is it an IR camera?

So the most, it is if you manage to make a correspondence between what the camera detects and manage to say that in 10min it will be covered in kstars.

But I think it's more complicated to set up than a star-counting camera, right?
3 years 6 months ago #59554

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
I think the all-sky camera is not necessarily IR, a standard camera should be sufficient.

From what I get from the paper, a simple 1/0 detection/counting of stars (detected or not) will not take into account the possibility of light clouds through which some starlight could pass attenuated and be detected, leading to think that there are no clouds, thus giving a wrong estimation of the cloud cover. It may be interesting to evaluate the usefulness of coupling an all-sky camera star counting algorithm to a small FOV MLX90614 sensor to measure the "telescope pointed" sky temperature. You may still need to account for atmospheric effects and other factors but that's making for a more interesting/challenging project.
3 years 6 months ago #59631

But don't you think that with an all sky camera you might have a problem with the rotation of the stars?
Whereas with a camera that always looks at the same place we should be more precise on the detection of clouds?
3 years 6 months ago #59633

If by "a camera that always looks at the same place" you mean a camera that point in the same direction as the telescope, yes that would be easier and likely more precise but you will likely require a camera FOV that would make detecting incoming clouds possible, before they get in the FOV of the capture camera It should also be independant from the capture camera so it could monitor cloud movements while a capture is going on. That could be an interesting application for a PoleMaster that would be mounted on the optical axis of the scope.

Anyway, that's all food for thought.
3 years 6 months ago #59634

• Thank you received: 69
Just posted, and saw this thread below mine, seems like a very similar thought to my mine - I wasn't consciously aware of this thread when I wrote mine, perhaps I'd unconsciously seen it over the last couple of days!
3 years 6 months ago #59636

I just saw your post, interesting timing!

I had thought about the PoleMaster as, once polar alignment is done, the camera doesn't have a much useful purpose. Using any camera that has been replaced by a newer one is also a good idea for cloud (or visual obstacle) detection, as long as it's parallel to the optical axis of the scope and it has an appropriate FOV for the purpose. The simplest way do evaluate a change of condition would be to process subsequent images and check for differences at the edges of the frame, I assume. More involved processing techniques could probably get a better estimation of the sky conditions.

More food for thoughts! :)
3 years 6 months ago #59638

So indeed, I was thinking of a camera in the same axis as the Tube.
Ideally as a guiding camera in addition to the one with a wider angle than the one we are imaging.
3 years 6 months ago #59640

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds