INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Align not started after meridian flip

• Thank you received: 107
Hi,
I successfully used ekos to shot. Last night I started imagining and then went sleep. In morning I found out that half images contain different part of sky. Turn out that after meridian flip it didn't start align. It didn't even started guying it just continued shooting.
But night before it managed to do flip align resume guiding and all. So question is what is difference and where it went wrong that align was not triggered.
In Kstars planetarium I usually select target and select goto which fill target field in CCD tab. I don't use sheduler tab. I just made sequence in CCD tab and execute it there.
3 years 6 months ago #59665

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
I'll be watching this thread. I have seen this as well, and just assumed the the CCD tab was less feature rich than taking the sequence from it and using it in the scheduler. Most of my evenings are not fully automated though, having to still bring my scope in from the pier when done for the night. Most of my captures therefore are just easier to use only the CCD tab. It would be nice if a meridian flip, no matter where started, would perform all the same functions.

Jim
3 years 6 months ago #59673

Ok here are log files where first one it performed align after meridian flip

File Attachment:

File Name: log_23-06-15.txt
File Size:545 KB

and second one it does not.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-39-10.txt
File Size:479 KB
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by nou.
3 years 6 months ago #59675
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109
I believe there is another thread on this that says the 2nd flip not working correctly is a known issue being worked on.
3 years 6 months ago #59676

Ok looking at the code and log I think there is one reason why it didn't flipped. In case second case just before flip there "Received image 10 out of 10." so it finished job while in first case it was 4 of 10.
3 years 6 months ago #59677

• Thank you received: 370
Without logs it‘s difficult to answer, but maybe an explanation helps how restarting aligning and guiding after a flip works.

If you are using the capture module directly without the scheduler (which I personally would not recommend for unattended sessions), it depends on the exact situation directly before the meridian flip happens, what will be restarted afterwards.

If guiding was running, it will be restarted. But if it aborted before due to a cloud or whatever, it won‘t be after the flip. For aligning it depends, whether the mount has not been moved after the last alignment. If you did not move the mount after the alignment when starting the capture sequence, an alignment should take place. And both guiding and alignment are independent.

If you need more details, please share the logs.

Wolfgang
3 years 6 months ago #59747

I did shared log in third post. First one doesn't start from beginning but both contain when meridian flip started. The guiding was running up until the meridian flip. Is there a way to test with simulators?
If you say that with scheduler it should be more consistent then I think I will start to use it.
3 years 6 months ago #59748

Ah, sorry, did not see your post with logs. It would be great if you could try to reproduce it with simulators. What I can already say that it is not linked to the bug with the second flip. In the meanwhile, please turn the log level to „verbose“. This gives much more insight.

Cheers
Wolfgang
3 years 6 months ago #59756

Did you build KStars from the source? If yes, it would be great if you tell us the exact commit number you are working on.
3 years 6 months ago #59757

Yes I am building it from sources regullary. This was from recent version c55c2c3a8.

Logs were set to verbose but only capture and focus module were selected.
3 years 6 months ago #59785

The only difference I could find between the two log files is this entry in the second one:
[2020-09-10T00:39:06.040 CEST DEBG ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - setMeridianFlipStage:  "MF_NONE"
When capture sets the meridian flip stage to "MF_NONE" directly after receiving a "FLIP_COMPLETED" this means that capture thinks that there is no capture sequence job left to continue - i.e. it assumes that all jobs are completed.

This explains why there is no re-alignment and no guiding startup, but it does not explain why focusing and capturing continues. Strange...

Could you reproduce it with the simulators?
3 years 6 months ago #59860

No i could not reproduce it with simulators. Quite possible that this is some sort of race condition.
3 years 6 months ago #59919

Time to create page: 2.103 seconds