INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SEP multistar guiding

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Dean on topic SEP multistar guiding

what is the weight load on your mount ? I am payload overloaded and can only get that rms response
from the new SEP guide algorithm under optimal sky conditions and certain targets regardless of camera
exposure time.
3 years 6 months ago #60030

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic SEP multistar guiding

Without checking every thing, no more than 3KG or 3.5KG I would say.
3 years 6 months ago #60037

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic SEP multistar guiding

Dean,
FWIW, I rarely get guiding working that well either (I use an Atlas Pro, which I believe is pretty similar to the HEQ5 pro, though not sure).
Some of it depends on the seeing and the sky position of your target.
I find, though, that using the GPG RA guide algorithm helps me.
Are you using that?
BTW, GPG RA guiding resets every time you slew, and it can take 15 minutes after a reset to get to its optimum performance.
3 years 6 months ago #60038

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic SEP multistar guiding

Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 6 months ago #60039

• Thank you received: 72

Replied by Magnus on topic SEP multistar guiding

Thats interesting! I will try that tonight.

+1 for sep multistar. For me even calibtation is quicker and succeds every time + better guiding :)
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 6 months ago #60040

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic SEP multistar guiding

If this evening I get another nice one, I will be testing the guiding only, with difference exposure time.
3 years 6 months ago #60049

Hy,

I have had good guiding, around 0.5", albeit under dark rural skies while on vacay, so its frustrating
not to get close to that. I use the GPG RA with major period set to 638 s (found on another post somwehere)
and tried without noticeable improvement by toggling estimate period. I will try a longer settle in to reach
optimum.

GTG,my SCT rig is much heavier but I hope to improve guiding after removing the guidescope and
replacing with a ZWO OAG that is coming in today. I would have thought with such a light load your guiding
would be much better. A WO GT71 is also coming today and I am keen to see how guiding that scope
on the HEQ5 works out.
3 years 6 months ago #60054

Just to mention.... I'm testing something that I would guess would be named 'continuous east heavy balancing', and so far it's looking kind of nice.
So I will not conclude anything before I get my new guidecam in the post, as I'm on the Obsolete Orion SSAG, and It's suffering some crashes.

So the east heavy balancing is to balance the mount or counterweight, witch ever is on the east side of pier, to be heavier. This way the gears on the mount always pushes on the scope. This reduces backlash balancing issues.
This is of course not possible on a remote setup if you are imaging on both sides of the meridian.

So the 'continuous east heavy balancing' is done by first balancing scope and counterweight neutral. Then attaching a rope / paracord or similar to the RA axis, and then letting it hang down on the east side of the pier making sure it does not touch the ground or get snagged while going the full "end to end" movement of the RA axis. Then add a continuous east heavy weight. I'm testing with a 1.25 kg weight. This is not like adding a 1.25 kg weight to the scope as the weight is added close to the axis, but it is enough to balance the scope and or counterweight to the east.

I guess this is a very DIY hardware hack and does not sound very 'pro', but it's not looking to bad at this moment :)
3 years 6 months ago #60058

Magnus, would you mind posting a picture(s) of your hack ?
3 years 6 months ago #60060

Shure.... This is so rudimentary that it might look like a joke, but all good prototypes starts with duct tape ;)

It looks wors than it is, but the scope is now just past the meridian in park position. So this is with the weight at it's lowest point.

There is also a corregated electrical tube so the weight can clear the az knobs without binding.

If there will be a v1, then it would be a lot nicer, this is more of an v0.0.1 :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
3 years 6 months ago #60063
Attachments:

ahhhh, I get it now, thanks. The hose makes sense.
3 years 6 months ago #60064

Just wanted to update my findings here.

i have been guiding with my new asi 120mm-s (usb3) togheter with my asi 1600mm-c imaging cam. It's just a great mix! Drivers is working great, I have no bugs that can bodge a imaging session now, so that's great.

I hav been using SEP Multistar, sometimes binning 2x. Also with my East heavy balancing mod, AND I went for the 2 second exposure as mentioned previous.

This year I was able to guide at the Elephant's trunk nebula when it past the worst place for the scope to balance (the zenith) with good result.
I also had some guiding sessions with both RA RMS and DA RMS < 1 trough-out the session. Not as great as Stephane's first images in this thread (RA and DA RMS < 0.5!), but still very nice :) At the moment every clear sky night is imaging night, so hope to ceep up the pace!

3 years 3 months ago #63814
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.300 seconds