INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meade DSI, GPUSB & "dumb" mount problems

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I'm running into a problem which hopefully is just something simple that I have overlooked.

I am trying to repurpose and old laptop to use as a dedicated autoguider. I installed DistoAstro 3.0.1 which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty LTS. The hardware that I have: Meader DSI I, GPUSB, and a Celestron SCT with a "dumb" mount.

I start up Kstars (v 2.2.0), and bring up the Ekos menu. I start up INDI and connect the DSI and GPUSB. Then I select the Guide tab in order to calibrate. I select "Capture" and I get an image from the DSI. I select a guide star and then as soon as I press the buton to start calibration, I get an error message "CCD & Telescope info are missing. Please set the values in INDI control panel." I selected Telescope Simulator and CCD simulator, but even with that, I still get the same error.

My main imaging camera is a Canon DSLR. I have a programmable shutter control that I use for y DSLR, so I do not have it connecting to INDI. And since my mount is just a "dumb" mount with a port for a simple hand controller, I didn't see anything in the list of telescope options that looked appropriate, only the GPUSB option under Auxiliary.

Please let me know if any additional information is needed of if I have missed something simple in order to get Ekos to do autoguiding without a primary CCD camera or a computerized mount.

Thanks,

-Mike Durkin
8 years 9 months ago #4543

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I haven't tried this setup, but can you try selecting Telescope Simulator in "Telescope" and then DSI for Guider and GPUSB in Aux? Then once you connect, go to the telescope simulator in INDI control panel and set your focal length and aperture (set the same values for the guider scope even if you don't have one).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Durkin
8 years 9 months ago #4545

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks,

That seemed to do the trick. I haven't been able to take my equipment out into the field yet, but I did at least verify that during the calibration of the guider that the motor speed in R.A. was adjusted. Since I didn't have a star to test with, the calibration failed before it could get to the Dec calibration, but considering that the guide signals are working for one motor, I'm very optimistic that it will work for the other.

-Mike
8 years 9 months ago #4587

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds