INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars disappears / crashed?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I just had a crash that seems similar to this one, and I WAS running through Ekos Debugger. But where then is the right log? I have attached the Kstars log from ~/.local/share/kstars/logs - is this the right one?

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #60253
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
IIRC from using the Ekos Debugger a few weeks ago, there is a button on the top right of the debugger window that allows you to specify where you want to save the log file that the debugger creates.
3 years 6 months ago #60263

• Thank you received: 0
Was this software released without being tested?

I'm on the verge of going back to SGP.
3 years 6 months ago #60271

Hi!

well, all software have issues, for a great variety of reasons. Do you have any particular that would cause you to abandon this project?

My crashes were identified and solved by Jasem right now. A level of testing and fixing that beats anything I ever experienced in commercial software...

So as for the thread topic: at least one cause for crashes seems to be solved, as we speak.

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #60295

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I have the same experience - Kstars suddenly crashes/disappears.
Last time it happened it was right after a meridian flip, in iteration #2 of the solver (please see attached log).
It seems it happened right after the image taken by the solver was downloaded.

I also often get this behaviour after I have captured my flat frames and start taking the first light frame.
To reduce the risk of this to happen, I now have a routine to always restart the Stellarmate between the flats and the lights.
Not very convenient, but I rather do this than having a crash during the lights session...
So it seems to have something to do with the image capture in my case.

Any ideas/advice on what to do?

Cheers, Åke

File Attachment:

File Name: log_23-24-....txt.zip
File Size:110 KB
3 years 6 months ago #60326
Attachments:

Hi!

I have no clue to what happened there, but as I understand it, you did not run Kstars from the Ekos Debugger?

I think that is a very good idea to get data on the crashes. Logging data is in the Debugger window, and you choose a directory to save it in as well (do that before you start Kstars with it).

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #60334

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for responding so quickly.
Not sure what you mean by "run Kstars from the Ekos Debugger".
I did enable debug logging when starting Ekos, but that is after I started Kstars. I don't know how to start Ekos in any other way, please advice me. Currently, I start Ekos from the Kstars menu: "Toggle Ekos".

Also, not sure if I should enable all logging (since it says "Only enable the necessary logs to help in diagnosing specific problems").
I think what I enabled was:
- Ekos: INDI,Capture,Alignment & Mount
- Drivers: Mount & CCD

// Åke
3 years 6 months ago #60338

ekosdebugger is tool that you use to launch KStars so that in case it crashes, it can generate useful logs for developers. You can install it on Linux:
sudo apt-get -y install ekos-debugger
3 years 6 months ago #60340

• Thank you received: 25
GM everyone,

I'm sharing my experience and what I believe went wrong (and fixed) for me. I was using a USB extension cable to increase the length of the RPi power cord. When I tested this on my RPi test unit, the insufficient power warning was always popping up. I suspected that I'm using the old power supply for RPi 3, but it was the extension cable. The volt was correct but the Amp dropped below 3A. I removed it yesterday and I was able to get a continuous session for more than 6 hours without interruption. I used the ekos debugger, but there were no interruptions to report. There were other problems, but it was my mistake in ekos configuration.

3 years 6 months ago #60341
Attachments:

Thank for the reply.
So I installed the debugger, but how do I launch KStars with it? Sorry for my ignorance.

Cheers,
// Åke
3 years 6 months ago #60343

If you launch it, make sure you're in the KStars tab, then click the Play button.
3 years 6 months ago #60345

OK, but how do I start the debugger? I can't find it anywhere...
EDIT: I see it now, I have to start it from the command prompt!
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Åke Liljenberg.
3 years 6 months ago #60346

Time to create page: 0.670 seconds