INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip and other meridian issues with iOptron CEM25P

• Thank you received: 33
Hello Nico, I've had the CEM25P for over two years now, it is a nice mount but it has some things that caused me some headaches when I first got it.
I keep the DST set to NO in the hand controller year around, when the time changes I change the offset to make the handset time correct.
I keep the meridian flip set to happen at 3 degrees in the hand controller and in Ekos I have flip to happen at HA> .02 Set hour angle units to hours.

On the park issue, I emailed iOptron and they replied there is no park command in the CEM25P. In the alignment module choose options and untick auto park. That will stop it from taking off to a strange position after polar alignmnet. I just use the "go to home" button in the indie driver panel.

You can play with your setup in your house, no need to waste time when the stars are shining!
To check meridian flip, setup all equipment, start kstars, start ekos then hit the start button. In Kstars choose a star close to the meridian(on east side), GOTO it and wait to see if the flip takes place as it crosses the meridian. If the meridian line is not showing, go to configure kstars - guides- and tick 'local meridian'. Now the line should show up.

I hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nico Augustin
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Brian.
3 years 6 months ago #60584

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8
Thanks a lot Brian! I truly like my CEM25P and I´m very happy with it. These tips will help me a lot and I will test it in the weekend. Yes I have the meridian visible in KStars and will check on the auto park setting!
I´ll report ASAP :-)
3 years 6 months ago #60586

• Thank you received: 182
Hi Brian,

I have the CEM25P as well and it does not show the behavior Nico describes. I use auto-Park, but of course, I first define the Park position in the CEM25P Control Panel > Site Management. Meridian flip also works like clockwork.

Nico could you post screen shots of the different tabs of your CEM25P control panel? Some of these setting must be off. Definitely have Kstars update the mount, not the other way round. Make sure both show the same time then (hand controller and Kstars).

As Brian said, you can test the flip parameters in the simulator. No need to waste star time. The mount works very well with Ekos.

Cheers

Jo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nico Augustin
3 years 6 months ago #60587

Yes, I will do screenshots when I setup all and test it. Earliest tomorow evening, latest in the weekend :-)
3 years 6 months ago #60589

Did you ever purge the Park position data, then write them fresh with the mount in the position you want it parked?

If you never purged the data, the mount may use these incorrect settings over and over again.

3 years 6 months ago #60602
Attachments:

No, never purged them but get an error message when I want to purge them now - might be because I disabled the parking as suggested by Brian.
3 years 6 months ago #60614

Okay... now I did all as suggested (disabled parking, made sure that KStars updates the date and location, set in the hand controller 3 degrees as limit and in Ekos the same (0.2deg HA) but still nnothing happens. INDI says it will start the flip and then it reports flip failed... I attach now all screenshots that I could think of. The settings in INDI, the mount screen from Ekos and images of the hand controller right next to to Kstars to show that they are synchronized. I´m pretty sure the problem sit´s in front of the screen here but would be happy if one of you can see anything thats odd?

3 years 6 months ago #60615

3 years 6 months ago #60617

Unselecting AutoParking would not prevent you from storing your Park position. I am not using that every day, but I do not have problems setting my Park position, then saving it.

Did you set the Park position first, then save it? The "light" next to park position in the site management tab should turn green when you set it. then you should be able to select the current park position and save it.
3 years 6 months ago #60619

Oh I also never had problems to set a park position and store it - at least the light wents green then. The prolem was more that e.g. after polar alignment the mount started to slew to some position not even near the sored park position. So I rather keep the Autopark off. But can indeed store the home position as park position too - I just don´t trust it that this is used right. Do you think that has to do with the Meridian Flip issue?
3 years 6 months ago #60621

• Thank you received: 33
Nico, you have entered Flip if HA> .20 it needs to .02
3 years 6 months ago #60622

• Thank you received: 420

Text deleted because it was wrong and I cannot delete the comment.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 6 months ago #60623

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds