INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip and other meridian issues with iOptron CEM25P

• Thank you received: 223

It's a repeat of the following post
3 years 6 months ago #60968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
Having said that, it might be linked to the old indilib drivers I'm running remotely on my second local laptop... so I need do some other testing on the Odroid C4 once it arrives.

The main thing is, naugustin and myself have the Meridian flip sorted out and the clock too :lol:
3 years 6 months ago #60969

• Thank you received: 8
I have it all running locally on the Raspberry Pi and control it via VNC.

Attached some images where to find the alignment error in the HC menu :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Wouter van Reeven, Jose Corazon
3 years 6 months ago #60970
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182
I never touched those fields, didn't even know they existed. I just used the CEM25P straight out of the box and connected it directly to my Pi. Had the Pi updated the mount and run it directly.

Thanks for enlightening me as to the ever increasing sophistication of the CEM25P.

:-)
3 years 6 months ago #60971

• Thank you received: 420

THANK YOU!!!! Clearing the alignment data in the hand controller solved the Park issue for me. Well, I first had to clear the park data in Ekos and write it to the current position but then the parking started working and once the mount reaches its park position, Ekos shows it as parked. YAY!

Wouter
3 years 6 months ago #61010

• Thank you received: 182
I don't think I ever encountered that problem before here on the forum, I would not have known about it either. The only thing that saved me is that I never tinkered with the hand controller or used star alignment with it. So there was nothing to clear.

That explains why my mount behaved and yours didn't.

Always something, never a dull moment.
3 years 6 months ago #61011

• Thank you received: 8
Great it worked for you too Wouter! Of course, I tinkered around with the HC because I had no clues about Ekos and Co.
Nowadays, when I would get a new mount, I also would just connect it to Ekos and it´s done ;-D

Cheers, Nico
3 years 6 months ago #61013

• Thank you received: 4
Okay, this topic is a bit stale, but I'm struggling with the same issue and the suggestions here half solve it for me.

I deleted the mount model information and just let Ekos figure it out by slewing and then doing a plate solve to repoint as needed. And I set the hand controller to be my time zone's "standard" offset and put DST=N (for me in New York, USA, that's -300 minutes). Now if I point at something just east of the meridian and wait until after it has transit and execute a second goto, the mount flips correctly, hurray!

There is, however, a weird issue between KStars and the mount. KStars draws the meridian line east of where it should be by about 6 degrees. That confused me for quite a while because I was trying to execute a goto (and expecting a meridian flip) when I visually saw KStars showing the star clearly past the meridian. Then when I popped up the "Show Details" screen on KStars for the object, it would show me a transit time in the future, so KStars was clearly confused about where the meridian was, claiming both that the star was east of the meridian while drawing the star west of the meridian. I'm not happy with that, but at least now that I know about it, I can ignore it and let Ekos do its thing

But the park issue is still there. One the mount config panel, I can tell the mount to go it's home position and that works to send it back to the counterweight-down position, but park sends it off about 90 degrees. Even if I take what the mount says are it's current alt/az coordinates while in CWD position and set those as the park position, it still slews off to someplace different.

I have a CEM25-EC, though I wouldn't expect that to be a significant difference. Although it does look like I missed a couple of firmware upgrades earlier this year, so I guess I'll have to try that and then report back. It's going to rainy the next couple of days, but maybe I can fake it in my garage; I don't need to actually image anything to try this out.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Roland Roberts. Reason: Typos, incorrect wording.
3 years 6 months ago #61725

• Thank you received: 33
The meridian situation sounds like a time problem. Set your offset to -240 instead of the correct -300 and try it. Leave DST=N I am using mount updates Kstars and things work correctly when I set mine up this way. I'm in the Atlantic time zone -240 and I set it at -180 DST=N

As for park, my CEM25P (Non EC) exhibits the same behaviour as yours when I set park to CWD position (same as home position). It takes off on a 90 degree trip east. I"ve set the parking position at non home positions and it seems to work fine.
I"m curious if anyone is parking their CEM25 successfully at the home position?
3 years 6 months ago #61741

I think that's what I had originally, but I'll give it a shot. I also have mount updates KStars and there is a shift in the KStars display when I connect. Though the meridian flip <em>is</em> working, it's just that KStars is showing the meridian in the wrong place; 6 degrees is only about 24 minutes, not a full hour.
3 years 6 months ago #61747

Okay, so...

I did the firmware upgrade earlier this evening, then I set the offset to -240 minutes, DST=N and restarted the mount. Since it's in my garage and it's raining, the GPS never connected. So I'm not 100% sure this will be what I see later. I manually adjusted the time so the hand controller shows the correct local time; I think that's what the above setting would result in.

Then I started up Ekos and picked a star just east of the meridian line and had the mount slew to it. The scope moved to the east side of the mount instead of the west as I had expected. I had to select a star at least 15 from transiting to get the scope to move to the west side. The times for the transit also didn't seem to match where the meridian line is.

Looking at the settings in the hand controller, the match my actual location within about 1 second in longitude. So...in KStars, I manually overrode the geographic location with my known location. Suddenly the meridian line jumped to the correct location, and the expected transit times were consistent with where the meridian line is drawn. I also noticed that KStars doesn't show any location in the geographic window when I first open that after connecting to Ekos. So it seems to me there is something not quite right with how that's working. Once I'd done the above override, I could reliably get the meridian flip to work as I expected, selecting a star east of the meridian and executing a goto put the scope on the west side of the pier, waiting a few minutes until it had transited and executing a second goto resulted in a meridian flip.

But at least I have a startup procedure that will get me consistent behavior, namely override the KStars location manually after the mount connect using the location shown on the hand controller.
3 years 6 months ago #61778

• Thank you received: 3
Night before last, I was not guiding. I was just testing the meridian flip. I set up for 60s exposures of NGC246. At the appropriate time, the scope flipped and plate solved to put NGC246 back dead center. I did not expect to get any usable images what with the full moon, but to my surprise, there was the Skull!

Last night, I decided to try for 120s. I got PHD up and running, and when it came time for the flip, I got all the appropriate messages, and after the flip, Ekos plate solved and put NGC246 dead center of the image view. But PHD went off to la la land and image capture quickly aborted. RA (if RA is blue and DEC is red - I think that's the way it is) went off-screen down. I tried to simply restart guiding from that point, but RA kept going to la la land. I ended up recalibrating.

I don't seem to have much trouble with flipping, only with picking up guiding after the flip. Someone mentioned clearing alignment data and purging the data from Ekos - is there a very specific order?
3 years 4 months ago #63695

Time to create page: 2.550 seconds