INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Difficulties setting KSTARS/EKOS to work over internet connection

• Thank you received: 0
I have build a Raspberyy Pi with Raspbian and Indi Webserver. I loaded KSTARS/EKOS and was able to run it remotely over the internet using VNC server but it is too slow on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. To be able to use the power of my desktop from another physical location I thought to just run IndiWeb server from the Raspberry Pi and run KSTARS/EKOS from my remote laptop over the internet.

I can get IndiWeb manager to load automatically on the Raspberry Pi which I have set to a Static IP address. I successfully port forwarded the Raspberry Pi on the router’s IP address (call it RR.RR.RR.RR) port 8624. From my remote desktop on a different Wi-Fi network I can open a webpage RR.RR.RR.RR:8624 and see the IndiWeb manager and start and stop the server.

The IndiWeb server is set to port 7624. I also port forwarded this port on the remote router where the Raspberry Pi.

When I start Kstarts and try to connect Indi I get an error “Connection to Indi Server at host RR.RR.RR.RR/ with port 7624 failed” My networking knowledge is limited. I am just reading guides/tutorials over the internet.

I tried to scan for the Indi WebManager from the EKOS interface and it does not locate it even though I can access it on my Web browser as I explained above. So that I know that it is there and it is started.

As an aside, when I click on the Web manager button (the one with the world icon in it) it takes me to this address on my browser: http//RR.RR.RR.RR/:8624 which does not work because there is a typo in the position of the colon. Could this be the issue?

Thank you in advance for your help.
3 years 6 months ago #60220

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
You may have done this already? Try taking the / out of the address. It should look like this RR.RR.RR.RR:8624
3 years 6 months ago #60233

• Thank you received: 25
If I may add, I suggest implementing your solution through a VPN. Internet security nowadays is a serious business. If you cant do software VPN, here are some suggestions of hardware VPNs that come with routers.
www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/routers-with-vpn
3 years 6 months ago #60262

Yes. I know this. I was just pointing out that this "typo" is something that EKOS does as part of its programming when I click on the button and likely needs to be corrected so that it will do it correctly but I don't think it has to do with my inability to make indi webmanager work over the internet.
3 years 6 months ago #60286

My problem remains and I would appreciate some clarification as to how to make Indi webmanager work over the internet. I am able to port forward RR.RR.RR.RR:8624 and access the webmanager from my remote Windows PC but I can't get the drivers to connect on port RR.RR.RR.RR:7624 even though I forwarded that port in the same way.
Any step by step guides out there or some instructions would be appreciated. Thanks.
3 years 6 months ago #60287

I figured it out. It was my mistake. I was typing http:/RR.RR.RR.RR/ in the field for the IP address. The way EKOS interprets that is to add the port number to the IP address I typed resulting in: http:/RR.RR.RR.RR/:8624 which could not be interpreted. After typing only RR.RR.RR.RR and nothing else in the filed for the IP address it worked.
Also for some reason port number 7624 was not actually open and both ports 8624 and 7624 (or whatever numbers you want to assign to them) need to be open. Some routers are quite picky about the choice of numbers as it turns out.
3 years 6 months ago #60290

Time to create page: 0.809 seconds