INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

meridian flip - guide/main scope axes misaligned

• Thank you received: 18
I have an Orion 60mm guidescope mounted on top of my WO GT71 main scope.
Guide cam is ASI120MM-mini, main cam is ASI385MC-cooled, both rotated to orient their FOV consistently.
They are not perfectly axially aligned and require me to loop capture and manually slew the main camera
with the mount control to center a target originally captured and solved via the guide camera.
If I am imaging a target which is centered in the main camera but is now off center in the guide camera (pre-flip)
will meridian flip re-align the target and restore its centering in the main camera ?
3 years 6 months ago #60390

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
If a manual slew is involved after plate solving, then no. Why don’t you use the main camera for plate solving?
3 years 6 months ago #60392

• Thank you received: 18
aha! PA and plate solve using the main camera and scope and relegate the guide scope and its camera to guide duty only ?
So does that mean regardless of what combo you guide with, its what you setup in the align module that meridian flip uses to re-align ?
I just received the WO GT71 last week. Previously I had the guide scope mounted to an 8" SCT: small FOV and sometimes not enough
stars for plate solving.
3 years 6 months ago #60393

• Thank you received: 420
Well, you can choose which camera and scope to use for polar alignment and plate solving. Since there usually is an offset between the main telescope and guide scope (unless you use an OAG) it makes sense to use the main telescope for plate solving. This becomes more difficult when using a main telescope with a very long focal length but a WO 71 doesn’t fall in that category.
3 years 6 months ago #60394

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds