INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Electronically Assisted Astronomy with LN300 cam

• Thank you received: 51
Hello,

I have just get a LN300 camera to be able to show DS objects to people around me and use it also as guider cam. I use a easy capture dongle to communicate with the notebook.
I have tested the camera with VLC and all works fine.
I have configured EKOS to be able to use a V4L2 camera. The cam is recognized on video 1. Sizes are correct. And all I get when I push on streaming on button is black window.

Did I missed something ?

Thanks for answering
8 years 8 months ago #4616

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 88
Hi,
Did you select the correct input in the V4L2 Capture options tab ? Usually it is set by default on composite1 and maybe you use Svideo.
You should also select a recognized format otherwise the display will be some sort of random snow. YUV2 should be ok.
8 years 8 months ago #4618

Hello,

Well all looks fine quite fine now.
I have just a problem when recording while Streaming is on. Indi crashes and then Kstars freeze.
Another question: does the staking process gives a unique image when compressed. In fact is it a live stacking ?
And by the way if the answer is yes how can it be possible to see the image without exiting from Kstars/Ekos/Indi ?
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Patrick.
8 years 8 months ago #4619

Actually you can not start recording while streaming (or exposing) nor you can start streaming while recording. Normally nothing happens (nothing is crashing here but maybe i am not up to date). Actually putting a recorder into the driver was to avoid decoding/sending frames when recording. The driver does not use any hardware/library decoding capabilities to limit the use of external dependencies in Indi and this is very cpu intensive when you do it the most portable and naive (and ugly) way. In a perfect world the recorder should be on the client software side.
The stacking process is only used when exposing and produces a unique 16bit image (you should change image depth manually in Image Settings tab). This is independent of image compression used when transferring frames. And after exposure you should see the result as a 16 bit image in the fits viewer. I try to make something equivalent to the sense-up feature found in recent cctv cameras, maybe I will buy one to see what the result may be.
8 years 8 months ago #4621

Thanks a lot for the explanations. Is the fit viewer a part of Ekos ? Didn't see it. Maybe I don't look at the right place. :unsure:
As I get as information is that sense-up modify the exposure time only.
I will test the LN300 maybe tonight with Kstars/Ekos/Indi.
If I had not too much troubles, even if I have, I will make a comment here.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Patrick.
8 years 8 months ago #4622

The fits viewer is a part of kstars, as ekos is, and ekos uses it to preview images for instance.
8 years 8 months ago #4623

But Ekos save a .ser format file not a .fit.
8 years 8 months ago #4624

No, as far I know, Ekos does not use ser files, only fits. The ser files are directly created by the V4L2 CCD driver and saved locally on the hardware running the indi server. I added recording ser files to manually test some stacking stuff, this was the simple way I found to get a sequence of original frames from the device. Ekos uses only the expose feature of CCD devices and uses fits images as inputs.
8 years 8 months ago #4629

Time to create page: 0.807 seconds