INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Persistent Serial Port Mapping

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by PDB on topic Persistent Serial Port Mapping

Running out of ideas now.
Tested a few things:

with SUBSYSTEMS="usb" links to wrong file (the usb bus number)
only combination that works on my machine is SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
- udev is very stricht on naming so a small typo and it does not work
- naming of the rule file? Should end with .rules or it failed on my machine

It might behave different on raspbian, but I have no raspbinan SD anymore ....

Paul
3 years 5 months ago #60916

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133

Yes, that is also what I'm using since years to have persistent names for my USB-to-Serial devices:
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="eqmod"
I have three of those lines, to discriminate eqmod, synscan and a Pegasus DMFC.
If you can connect, but get spurious errors now and then, that is for sure not related to the above symlink setup, I'm definitely sure you'd also get them using the native ttyUSBX name. So rather look for connection or baud rate issues, or other hardware stuff...
3 years 5 months ago #60918

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Ian on topic Persistent Serial Port Mapping

Yes, that is also what I'm using since years to have persistent names for my USB-to-Serial devices:
<code>
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="eqmod"
</code>
I have three of those lines, to discriminate eqmod, synscan and a Pegasus DMFC.
If you can connect, but get spurious errors now and then, that is for sure not related to the above symlink setup, I'm definitely sure you'd also get them using the native ttyUSBX name. So rather look for connection or baud rate issues, or other hardware stuff...[/quote]
Re: .rules file. Mine seems work fine (a few hrs playing around, few reboots all indoors) without the SUBSYSTEM== but with the KERNEL==

But yours "makes more sense" (to me - whilst I don't understand much Linux/udev, specifying the SUBSYSTEM as a tty seems a "safer bet"). So I experiemented and changed mine to(hope above is correct, I had to retype as my VNC client does not seem to cut/paste nicely)
and that seems to work well - so I'll stick with yours as it specifies more info.

Re: Timeout Errors: It does not make much sense but playing around this morning (now using KStars in a Virtual Machine but RPi running remote IndiServer) and the timeout errors have disappeared. Previously loads of re-boots, etc. so only change is extended power off period - which makes no sense but it's working so all I can do is keep an eye on it.

Thanks to all for your help.
Ian
3 years 5 months ago #60923

• Thank you received: 133

Just a wild guess: Is this a Pi 4? Could it be temperature problems?
3 years 5 months ago #60924

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Ian on topic Persistent Serial Port Mapping

Pi 3 in a metal case (no fan) but only running mount (so probably not stretching it's processing power even for a 3)

Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
3 years 5 months ago #60925

Time to create page: 4.012 seconds