INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems with the internal guide

• Thank you received: 1
Hi guys, I am just wandering if I am missing some steps to configure the guide in Ekos…

My Kstars/Ekos installation is on Mac OS 10.14.6 and I use a ZWO ASI 1600 imaging camera and ASI 120 MC-S as guiding camera. 
The guiding camera is powered via the imaging camera through an USB cable. The mount is directly connected to my Mac via EqMod cable opportunely configured in Ekos. Just to be sure that everything is ok I attach a screenshot showing the configuration of my devices in Ekos with the opportune drivers. 
I had several problems in the guide. The problem I experienced are the following:

1 - During the guiding process, the modality of acquisition of the guide camera automatically switches from 16 bit to 8 bit. I obtain the following message that report this problem:

2020-10-16T20:57:30: [INFO] Switching to 8-bit video.

2 - I am not able to guide precisely. I initially obtain a drift plot that is almost stable (residuals around 1.5 arcsec) for few minutes. After some minutes, however, the plot starts to be highly unstable with drifts of also 10 arcsec. Unfortunately I have not an image to show you for this case…

I checked several times the balance of my equipment, then I would exclude this kind of problems.

Just a little note (I don’t know if this could contribute in part to these problems)…
All my USB outputs cables (that of the imaging camera, Eqmod, focuser.. ) are connected to an USB 3.0 HUB, that is powered directly from my external battery and connected to my Mac with an USB 3.0 cable. 

How can I solve these problems? 
I thank you very much for your suggestion and comments. 
Regards, 

Frank
3 years 5 months ago #61782
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
1. Why is switching to 8-bit a problem? IIRC this is done automatically for all ASI120 cameras. It does for mine and I get guide RMS well below 1” on my EQMod and iOptron mounts.
2. Can you post debug logs for further inspection of what maybe going on?
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 5 months ago #61784

• Thank you received: 109
I have found not setting the guider camera, when both cameras are ZWO, to be best. The driver is wise, and still recognizes both cameras and lets you set one as the guide camera in the guider configuration. Just leave the Guider: entry blank in the Profile Editor.

Jim
3 years 5 months ago #61805

Hi wvreeven!
Thank you for your reply.

1. To be honest the reason because I am worried about the switch from 16 to 8 bit is due to the fact that the FOV of the guiding camera suddenly becomes dark with little white stars. In few words I see a considerably contrasted image as a consequence of the change of the read-out dynamics. Is it a way to performa a stretch in the preview enclosed into the guide module?

2. How can I obtain the debug logs? Is there a way to recover the log of the last session I performed?

Thank you again.
3 years 5 months ago #61900

Hi Jim, thank you for your reply!

I did not know this method. I have to absolutely try this.
I think this solution could solve some issues I experienced on loading the equipment on Ekos.
Indeed, sometimes I am not able to connect all the devices when I start Ekos. Several times I had to restart my Mac before loading all the devices in a row when I start the Ekos module.
Have you ever experienced this problem?

Thank you again,

F.
3 years 5 months ago #61904

• Thank you received: 420
Frank,

If you look in Individuals -> Error Reporting in the menu items at the top then you’ll coma across this page

indilib.org/individuals/logs-howto.html

As far as I know, the images are stretched when in 8 bit. Once more, that works fine for me.

Wouter
3 years 5 months ago #61908

Ok, great! Thank you for the link.
Accordingly to the local weather I am going to produce one asap to post it here :-)

Thank you again for your support!

F.
3 years 5 months ago #61922

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds