INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding issues

• Thank you received: 1

Guiding issues was created by Matt Baker

I own a HEQ5 Pro with a belt mod and have a 50mm guider mounted on top of my 90mm refractor and use a QHY5L-II M.

I tuned the worm gear and made sure there wasn't any play or binding and it seems to work fine. I did also double check the tension on the belts which also seem fine with about 2mm of deflection.

I've been having significant issues with backlash in the DEC axis and especially within PHD2 which doesn't seem to handle it well at all so I've switched to the internal EKOS guider.

I've also set the guiding to only do DEC corrections in one direction as to minimise constantly changing directions, although this does cause issues when dithering and settling back down.

The internal guiding works well but I sometimes have sudden spikes, sometimes in both RA and DEC, other times just the one and I can't figure out why. Possible mechanical issue? The guide log I've attached does show them being in both axes but it does happen with the single one from time to time which causes me every time to bin the exposure.

I also experience a sawtooth graph in my DEC and was wondering how I could tune that out with the settings in EKOS?

Matt
3 years 5 months ago #62136
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Guiding issues

For one thing, you stated that your guider focal length is 50mm, but the logs show it is specified at 170mm. That will drastically change the drift calculations.
The peaks may be caused by cable snags, presuming you aren't occasionally touching it.
Lastly, verify your polar alignment, as it appears to be drifting then making a big correction.

I have also belt modded my HEQ5, and backlash should be almost non-existent. So ensure again that the belts are properly tensioned and worms meshing is good. If you are still having issues, perhaps you have sticksion issues from old grease. Consider getting it serviced.
3 years 4 months ago #62265

• Thank you received: 86

Replied by maxthebuilder on topic Guiding issues

If its' Orion 50mm guider - it's f/3.2 i.e. 162mm.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
3 years 4 months ago #62274

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Matt Baker on topic Guiding issues

Okay, I've serviced the mount and regreased plus got new worm bearings, and unfortunately it hasn't fixed a thing. It still happens and quite regularly. I'm wondering of the possibility that it's a software issue?

I've enabled the logs for everything and have attached the file. If someone could have a look at it with the provided time stamps, that would be great.
20:55:50
20:54:00
20:53:13
20:51:18
20:41:42
20:38:20

I'm not sure if it shows in the logs but sometimes when it happens, I get these changes:

[WARNING] Warning: Invalid parameter -> Can not change rate while motor is running (direction differs).
[INFO] Align: current point is 1
[INFO] Align: current point is 0

Edit: I've also attached the guide log

File Attachment:

File Name: guide_log-...9-02.txt
File Size:161 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-47-00.txt
File Size:13,410 KB
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Matt Baker.
3 years 4 months ago #63231
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds