INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos not guiding in dec

• Thank you received: 2

Ekos not guiding in dec was created by Tim

I've been trying to improve my guiding, and noticed tonight that Ekos is not generating a pulse for the dec axis. Attached is my latest guiding log and a screenshot of my setup. I've tried the good old turn-it-ff-turn-it-on to no avail. I'm running GPG guiding for RA btw. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tim
3 years 4 months ago #62328
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Ekos not guiding in dec

Can't tell which guiding scheme you're using.
Can you try using SEP Multistar and see if it works?
You get that my going to the options in the bottom right of the guide window,
going to the "Guide" tab in the options, and under algorithm, selecting SEP MultiStar.

You guide camera may be out of focus too, may want to check that (but I agree that wouldn't explain why you're not seeing DEC pulses)
Hy
3 years 4 months ago #62337

Replied by Tim on topic Re:Ekos not guiding in dec

I’m using SEP multistar. Just happens that it wasn’t getting all the stars in that screenshot I took. In fact, I’d say I only track multiple stars about 75% of the time. Guidescope is focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 years 4 months ago #62345

Can you attach a log with debugging enabled for the guider?
3 years 4 months ago #62352

Replied by Tim on topic Ekos not guiding in dec

I got some pulses in dec tonight. No idea what was different. But I'm not convinced everything is working correctly. However, maybe it is and this thread is really just me trying to figure out how to guide better. Thanks in advance.

Tim
3 years 4 months ago #62378
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 94

Replied by alacant on topic Re:Ekos not guiding in dec

Hi
In your second example, DEC is receiving pulses. Maybe try another cable?

3 years 4 months ago #62390
Attachments:

I'm using a USB cable. I have no issues using the different functions of the mount, so a bad cable seems unlikely. I'm pretty much stuck at that "south weighted" distribution in the drift plot. I feel like my kit is pretty well balanced, and I know I have a great polar alignment. I'm on the coast in the panhandle of FL, but typically have pretty dark skies, so I don't think I'm limited by seeing. The only other "big" thing I can see is Ekos's ability to hang on to multiple stars while guiding. Without having actually measured it, I'd say I only see the SEP multistar lines and circles 25% of the time at best. I'm kind of at a loss on how to get better guiding at this point. I think I've got all the low-hanging fruit, so barring hardware issues, I have to think there is some setting I'm missing. I'm going to try again for a few hours tonight.
3 years 4 months ago #62818

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Ekos not guiding in dec

I just looked at the log you posted last week.
Certainly losing the circles and lines 75% of the time is not good--usually indicative of poor conditions (in the log from last week, it was much higher).
However, one thing that stuck me from the log was your super-high SNR and relatively high HFR values for the guiding stars.
I'm wondering if you have the gain turned up too high, or something like that.
To check that, I'd suggest taking pictures (in the capture tab) but set it to use your guide camera and scope. Use the fitsviewer and check to make sure the stars look good, and the image is not clipped/saturated in many stars. If it is saturated, you can lower gain in the Indi driver. Let me know how it goes if you try that.

BTW, what software version are you using? (Latest nightly? release 3.4.3? ...) What guide scope (what f-number) and camera?

Thanks & good luck,
Hy
3 years 4 months ago #62823

A lot has happened with my guiding... all good. I did mess with the gain which makes SEP multistar rock solid. Thanks for that advice. Long story short, the rest of the story involves a bad Mac OS Big Sur install which lead to a complete wipe of my laptop, a bad RPi update to my RPi4 with Stellarmate OS which also lead to a complete wipe and reinstall. So far, I'd say it was worth it. Some good seeing here in the panhandle of Florida is helping as well. Results attached.
3 years 4 months ago #63096
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Ekos not guiding in dec

0.27 RMS is amazingly good. Congrats!
3 years 4 months ago #63097

Time to create page: 2.237 seconds