INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars/Ekos using UTC but thinks it's local

• Thank you received: 20
I have KStars set up to pull time and location off my mount, whose GPS is set for my 6-hour UTC offset and so reads out in local time.

However, I notice that KStars always puts log entries and the like in UTC, though it appears to think that's local time. Maybe this is why plate solving is goofed sometimes, and the mount tends to hare off into La-La Land?

At any rate, how to I get KStars and Ekos to actually believe the UTC offset? I can tell the Pi to get its time via the Internet when I'm imaging at home, but that's no use in the field.
3 years 4 months ago #63653

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

INDI communicates date/time in UTC, not local. It is read as LOCAL from mount, then converted to UTC before sent off to KStars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Wayne
3 years 4 months ago #63664

Thank you. The "LT" in the KStars time display is a little misleading in that respect! If I just do everything (e.g. scheduler) in UTC I should be OK, then.
3 years 4 months ago #63672

• Thank you received: 155
I had to deactivate pulling the location from my CEM120 mount - it does not work. It works on the CEM25 I own, but not the CEM120. I'm not sure what gets messed up but the location is WAY off and I had to keep resetting KStars manually after it pulled the incorrect data from my mount. Oddly, I would manually enter the data that comes from my mount handset, so the mount's GPS is correct - but something gets messed up in the transfer.
3 years 4 months ago #63728

The "LT" listed in KStars is LOCAL. At least it is in my version (3.5) of Kstars.

3 years 4 months ago #63730
Attachments:

But when I pull data from my CEM120 mount, the TIME is correct, but the LOCATION is so far off that the LOCAL date shifts ahead to the next day!
For some reason, on the CEM120 driver, the location's LONGITUDE does not get converted properly. The latitude is correct, only the longitude is messed up. I have to go back into Kstars and simply change my location back to my actual location (using either the map, or the exact longitude data from my mount's handset) and then the time gets shifted back properly. I've mentioned this before but there's been no action on it.
3 years 4 months ago #63731

Huh. For me, if I set KStars to the correct local time, the sky is off by six hours (my UTC offset). If I set it to UTC, everything is hunky-dory. It's not just the planetarium that is incorrect, Ekos is too if I use local time. Eg. I have to set start times for the Scheduler in UTC. Just figured that out yesterday, in fact.

I'm going to revert to my previous version of StellarMate OS for unrelated reasons, I'll see if the old stuff has the same problem.
3 years 4 months ago #63738

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds