INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indilib indi_asi_ccd driver and zwo cameras ROI and ADC Depth

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I am currently using Linux Kstars 3.4.1 and ekos indi controls panel tells me the indi_asi_ccd driver is 1.6.
I am working with an ASI290mc, but I don't think that is so important.

I have looked at many ZWO camera manuals and I know that a number of these cameras can be set to run in different ADC bit depths.
I am just going to assume USB 3.0 here, because that is what I use, I know there are USB 2.0 slow down penalities.
I also know that these cameras also support Regions of Interest (ROI), when set in these cameras, it will increase the possible fps or shorten the possible allowed exposure of the camera.
I know that all of these items: ADC bit depth, USB 3.0, ROI all affect fps or exposure speed, and they map this out in tables in the ZWO manuals.

I know that ekos capture module has frame size and frame offset (X and Y) so one can literally take a smaller than full camera frame size pic and center (or not) the item of interest.
I think these settings / abilities are unrelated to ZWO's ROI and will not give the higher fps they mention. True?
I know that the indi controls panel shows ADC depth under the image info tab when the camera is connected. But it seems like there is no way change that.

I have downloaded ZWO's asiStudio software recently and can see that they can change all this stuff easily. I realize you may not be using the same ZWO library that they are.
I have done a search of this forum and have not seen much about any of this, but I have seen somebody mention an SDK and some custom property like HighSpeedMode and 0
representing the highest ADC bit depth. Perhaps there is another one for ROI? If there is a way to set these properties in Ekos, please tell me how? I have seen custom properties in the capture module but I don't know if it adding new properties would work and what their values would be to make this happen???

I don't know if new releases have addressed any of this?
Thanks,
I still love this platform and want to use it as much as possible!
3 years 4 months ago #63961

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We all use the same SDK. You can change video type (LUMA - RAW8 - RGB24) are all 8bit. Some cameras have RAW16 which is 16bit. If you go to INDI Control Panel --> ZWO --> Controls tab you should be able to see all these controls.
3 years 4 months ago #63981

• Thank you received: 168
Frame width / height and offsets use the same SDK functions as ZWO's ASIStudio's ROI and do increase frame rates in similar way. The ADC depth shown in INDI panel is just for information, the driver always saves either 8 or 16 bit data depending on the chosen format. As for the high speed ADC conversion (usually 10 bit) there is control HighSpeedMode in INDI panel among all the others exposed by the SDK, gain, offset, USB bandwidth, and so on. Setting it to 1 enables the faster ADC function.
3 years 4 months ago #64026

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds