INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

kstars crashing using RealVNC

• Thank you received: 14
I've been using kstars/Ekos for about 6 months now and just started to get to grips with the polar alignment tool. My problem is that quite often kstars/ekos crashes with core dump. Maybe some incompatible/missing libraries ? I'm using Linux Mint 19.3 with all updates applied and server is
raspberry pi 4 running ubuntu 18.04 all updates applied. When just using plain X desktop I have never had a problem, but now I am running over
VNC so that I can take device running vncviewer into garden to adjust polar alignment.
I ran kstars from command line and kept standard output attached. Don't know if that shows the problem ?

File Attachment:

File Name: Kstars-eko...rror.txt
File Size:15 KB
3 years 2 months ago #65198
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

[xcb] Too much data requested from _XRead
[xcb] This is most likely caused by a broken X extension library
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
kstars: ../../src/xcb_io.c:741: _XRead: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_too_much_data_requested' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
[nick ~]$

Very odd error, never seen it before.
3 years 2 months ago #65201

It seems I must have touched the "Mount control" in the mount module. This is what definitely crashes it.
Although I seem to remember it also crashed the other night when trying the polar alignment.
I will try to keep using it and come back to you if I have something more.
Thanks.
3 years 2 months ago #65204

Then QML issue. Looks like your installation have some issues with installing correct Qt QML dependencies. That's just a guess.
3 years 2 months ago #65213

• Thank you received: 16
I have noticed similar problems that seem timing-related. In my VNC setup, if I start KStars, immediately go to Ekos and hit Connect...core dump. However, with no changes to equipment or setup, if I do the same steps with a pauses (several seconds) between steps (eg: Start KStars.....wait a bit...Start Ekos...wait a bit...Connect), then things operate normally from that point. I have gone as far as to keep the scope off to prevent Ekos from connecting to it on startup, then turning the scope on a few moments later and connecting, though I am not certain that is really required.

I learned this process using the "interrupted by phone calls while setting up" method of advanced testing.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 2 months ago #65311

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic kstars crashing using RealVNC

I am running Kstars on my raspberry using tightvncserver without any issue. So maybe consider switching to it?
3 years 2 months ago #65343

• Thank you received: 57
Similar unpredictable crashes for me if I skip too quickly from Start KStars to Toggle INDI to Connect, on an x64 linux box running NoMachine.

Just take it slow and it rarely crashes.
3 years 2 months ago #65346

Update. I changed from vnc4server to tightvncserver . It seems to be a lot more stable now. No more crashes so far. Thanks for all your suggestions,
3 years 2 months ago #66236

Hi all. was still carshing but now seem to have resolved things at last.
I am using a PI4 with ubuntu 18.04 server attached to equipment, but all the graphics
is run on main workstation in house. I run kstars inside vncserver on workstation. I am now using tigervnc-standalone-server . This needs to be started with -localhost no option - eg
vncserver -localhost no -depth 24 -geometry 1920x1200 :1
In order to do polar alignment, focusing guide scope etc where I need to go outside I use
an android tablet with RealVNC client which is free. Now no crashes and rock solid.
Hope this helps someone.
2 years 11 months ago #70085

Time to create page: 1.078 seconds