INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Camera cool down & warm up at start/end of sequence

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I’ve been following the development of NINA and I see that there is a feature to start/stop camera cooling when starting/stopping a sequence. I was wondering if there was something similar in EKOS. I had a look and couldn’t see anything obvious.

Does anyone know if this feature exists and where it is?

Rene
3 years 1 month ago #67374

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 165
Cooling down is triggered by sequence and set on top left of the sequence screen, remember to check the box to apply:

For warming up there is an option in scheduler that is executed after the scheduled jobs complete:

3 years 1 month ago #67408
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks for that and thanks for the screen shots.

From an ease of use point of view it makes no sense that the function to turn the cooling on/off are on separate screens. What if I don’t want to set up a schedule? Normally I set a sequence to run and go to bed. Why wouldn’t there be a function on the capture module to warm the camera and shutdown Ekos there?

Rene
3 years 1 month ago #67413

• Thank you received: 23
Every astro program does it differently - pros and cons - almost all of them are like going from a Toyota with left hand indicators not a Volvo with a right hand indicator stalk - annoying but the way it is (the difference being it's open source if you wanna change it!)

The Ekos approach is that a sequence controls the parameters of the capture (which are often different by target) - that includes the camera temp settings, then Ekos scheduler simply runs the sequences without having to worry about what the mission parameters are for each sequence (that's the sequence designer's job). it's a flawed approach is some cases, but for the general use-case it works pretty well (error handling is a totally different matter and an area where Ekos needs work eg: pause and close shutter if cloudy but restart and reopen when clear, I've not figured out how to make that work).

There is a simple (if slightly annoying) workaround - use the "Indi_setprop" command at the end or start of your sequence to do all teh other things you need. It's a small amount of work, but if you pop it into a shell script, you can design it once and all your sequin eyes can reuse it - if you ever change your mind about the type of cemra etc, it's a simple tweak to one script.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 1 month ago #67433

Time to create page: 2.168 seconds