INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

(another) meridian flip question

• Thank you received: 7
Hi all,

I've successfully tested doing an automatic meridian flip. It just works. But I have one doubt.
If I initially go-to a target (M-whatever, NGC-whatever, etc.) and manually slew the scope (with the corresponding direction buttons, of course) just to set the correct frame I wish; when the meridian flip is performed, it will automatically plate-solve the images to go-to the original targeted object, but not with the corresponding frame I set before. Is that right? If so, is there any way of getting just the same frame after the meridian flip?

Thanks!
3 years 2 months ago #67471

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
The only way that I know of is to not use the arrow buttons but to select a star close to the center of the framed fov and make the mount slew there. That will then be the target that Ekos will use after the meridian flip.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 2 months ago #67472

yes, that's it, that just what I thought. Thanks for the reply by the way!
I've not tested it though, and I don't know if it would suit what I was looking for, but will give a try. Thanks!
3 years 2 months ago #67473

Hi again,

I'm still thinking about this. I don't know if this makes sense, but, could be possible (or feasible) to ekos to take an image just before the meridian flip and, after the meridian flip, plate solve against the previous image til it matches?

m
3 years 2 months ago #67621

• Thank you received: 31
Once you have manually nudged the mount to match your preferred framing you can read the RA/Dec coordinates, right? You can type those into the Mount Control window and tell Ekos to Goto and plate solve again. Then Ekos should go back to those coordinates after the flip.

I wonder what happens if you tell Align to solve with the "Do Nothing" button checked. Will that become the new default re-centering after a flip? You could probably test that with the simulator.
3 years 2 months ago #67660

That's actually quite interesting... thanks for the tip. I still quite new in ekos; and I though that the important info for the meridian flip was the 'target' box.
Regarding your second question, I will give a try.

m
3 years 2 months ago #67662

"Do Nothing" literally does that with the mount: nothing. It solves the image and that's it. So if after the meridian flip the mount is not positioned correctly, it will stay positioned incorrectly.
3 years 2 months ago #67670

• Thank you received: 31

So there is no mechanism to solve an image and make the solved position become the "target"? I was not suggesting using "Do nothing" after the flip, only once you've settled on your framing, then setting it back to "Slew to". Seems like there ought to be a way to solve an image and make that the current Goto target without having to type in RA/Dec coordinates.
3 years 2 months ago #67676

No, there is no such option though it would be a great addition!
3 years 2 months ago #67688

Time to create page: 0.776 seconds