INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

mapping the horizon....

• Thank you received: 10
my semipermanent observatory sits next to the house, and several trees are limiting my view. quite often I estimate that I should be able to get Rosette between 2200 and 0300, but I am often quite wrong...

is there an EKOS feature that would allow me to semi-automatically "map the horizon", so that EKOS could tell me : you target is below YOUR horizon?

how do you solve your horizon problem?

thanks

mike
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Michael.
3 years 1 month ago #67738

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic mapping the horizon....

You can create an artificial horizon in Kstars.

I would really love if this can be incorporated in the scheduler, as an 'tarket is 5 degrees above artificial horizon.
That would help me get the early morning targets without complicated planning.
Afaik it's not implemented and not high in the list of priorities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
3 years 1 month ago #67740

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by jiberjaber on topic mapping the horizon....

The horizon in Kstars is great but one issue I often struggle with is which point to take as the edge of the horizon when building it using my scope, use the centre of FOV or the edge of FOV? This would make 'tarket is 5 degrees above artificial horizon' something that would need to be standardised.

I think I used centre last time, but this has changed slightly as there are no leaves on the trees at the moment :)

However, being able to judge against the horizon in the scheduler is a good item - as then I wouldn't have to manually alter my sequences to stop before the target disappears and then move on to something else.
3 years 1 month ago #67778

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by JuergenN on topic mapping the horizon....

I just saw this thread and a question comes up: is it possible to import a horizon from xephem? This was my first astronomy program and I have a horizon file (horizon.hzn) for my site...
3 years 1 month ago #67784

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds