INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] EKOS crashes when i start the scheduler - KSTARS 3.5.1

• Thank you received: 25
Yesterday I tried to add one target to the EKOS scheduler. KSTARS crash as soon as I run the scheduler. It happened twice, so I manually did the scheduler tasks o the 3rd trial as slewing, plate resolving, focusing, and capture.

PFA error logs.

Thank you
3 years 1 month ago #67822
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
Same here - suddenly too as I have been running schedules for a while now with no crashes.....I have run both 3.5.1 + INDI 1.8.7 and 1.8.8 with same results - I DID change my camera to QHY294C BUT also tested with simulator and it also crashed as soon as scheduler starts - running 3.5.0 beta from laptop connected to the PI4 running INDI also crashed.

I THINK this is something n SW outside of KSTARS/INDI as I started crashing with out any update to either - they were stable - I ran ekosdebugger and found a segfault but did not capture - will try again an post
3 years 1 month ago #67853

• Thank you received: 8
Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit RPi OS?

If you do
uname -m
what do you get?

For my Astroberry build, I get armv7l (which is 32 bit) and for my Manjor-ARM based build I get aarch64. There have been others who have reported that the 64bit version is more stable, and if you're on a 32bit Linux OS than this might be a cause of your problems. Any RPi4 actually has aarch64 processor, just that it wasn't until the RPi 400 (the 8GB RPi) that there was an official Raspberry OS that was 64-bit.
3 years 1 month ago #67859

I get armv7l...Astroberry on PI4 8gig
3 years 1 month ago #67861

Note that for me this just started and without any os updates (that I instigated) so I was stable for a few weeks - only update was for indi 1.8.8 so I could use my new QHY camera - but have backed down to 1.8.7 and still get the same and even with simulators so I can t see it being related to drivers particularly
3 years 1 month ago #67862

Interesting note: Today after a night of being shut off, I set up again with simulators and this time scheduler worked - since there is no change here I can only assume it is a problem with environment/time/heat etc...my CPU activity is almost 0 where as yesterday was around 10%...same for RAM usage. I am going to let the device run for a few hours and then retest. Without changes such as updates or hardware it is almost impossible to suddenly work unless some 3rd party bit of SW is not running and IT is the problem - will keep you posted
3 years 1 month ago #67874

POTENTIAL SOLUTION - I created a new profile making sure I did not include any non-connected equipment (such as my FW).....created a schedule and executed = perfect operation. Re-parked and reset. Then chose the normal profile which as the FW that is currently not connected = immediate crash on execution.
I can conclude from this that either the original profile is corrupted or scheduler has a defect in which a device that is not connected results in a null pointer exception somewhere rather than being handled
Since this is reproducible at will I will see if I can now get some logs - BUT PLEASE TRY to make a new profile and double check your gear is connected and can communicate....I place my bets on corrupted profile as the root cause since SIMULATOR profile also crashed and it has no real devices - creating a NEW profile has new xml in disk locations (I may even run some disk checks - I am on an SSD and it is possible that PI4 has some lingering issues there as boot and run form SSD is new - I assume there will be bugs in that area for next year or more)

Try it out and let me know what you get
3 years 1 month ago #67875

Thank you. I shall create a new profile and give it a try. I will post my updates will log files...
3 years 3 weeks ago #67996

Hi wgauvin

I get armv7l as well, and Im using Stellermate build. I don't think I can update this to 64bit OS
3 years 3 weeks ago #68250

• Thank you received: 8
If you have a RPI4 you can run a 64bit OS as the processors are the arm64/AArch64. However, you can't upgrade your current install from 32bit to 64bit but need to start anew (get a new SD card and install the 64bit OS). A 64-bit OS can run 32-bit programs (Windows does it, MacOS used to, Linux does by having the 32bit libraries installed in a separate area).
3 years 3 weeks ago #68251

Hello jamiecflinn

Yesterday I created a new profile and the scheduler worked fine, so I guess It may be a change in the profile format?!!
3 years 3 weeks ago #68286

• Thank you received: 2
I can confirm - I also had the scheduler crash immediately after staring a job.   It started after updating KStars and Indi.

Recreating my profile fixed the problem - thanks.

Ed Kuzemchak
Meadowgold Mobile Observatory
www.kuzemchak.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 1 week ago #68908

Time to create page: 0.844 seconds