INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dithering?

• Thank you received: 0

Dithering? was created by EricFROL

Hello guys,

Is there an option to enable dithering in ekos integrated guider? I can't find any button.

TY in advance :side:
3 years 1 month ago #68151

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 565

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Dithering?

It's in the guider tab's option's menu, under the Guide sub-tab
3 years 1 month ago #68156
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Ron DeBry on topic Dithering?

Can you tell me how Threshold and Settle work and interact? Is Settle a time after reaching the threshold? Before checking the Threshold? Thanks!
3 years 1 month ago #68169

@dx_ron: Good question! I just checked the source code, and:
- threshold is not used at all by the internal guider. It is passed on to PHD2, though.
- settle looks like a timer, once the dithering has reached the desired position, it pauses that many seconds.
Hy
3 years 1 month ago #68173

Oh - that is interesting. Thanks! I just returned to internal after using PHD2 for a while (was tuning my CEM25P and needed numbers for backlash).

As long as I'm asking questions - can you build a darks library? I thought the looping "cover / uncover" had been fixed as of 3.5.1 (which Astroberry skipped, went from 3.5.0 to 3.5.2), but it seemed to happen tonight. I didn't bother to check it out very far, just unchecked the 'darks' button and went on my way. But if it is supposed to be fixed I will pay more attention to it tomorrow evening.
3 years 1 month ago #68175

As I understand it (I've never used it, so can't say I'm an expert, but...) the basic darks mechanism isn't really something I'd recommend. It just takes one dark, and subtracts that image from the sub. So, even if there were no code issues, subtracting one dark would probably add more noise to the sub than it would fix. What one really needs to do is take enough dark images so that the dark "Master" that's subtracted has low shot noise. One could play games, e.g. find where Ekos puts its dark and substitute out that file for a good dark, etc etc, but anyway, I don't recommend using it until that's fixed.

That said, Jasem has said that improving the darks option is on his short-list, so the situation may be fixed in the next few months. I bet you can find a forum thread on that topic.

Hy
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Hy Murveit.
3 years 1 month ago #68178

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by nou on topic Dithering?

I think you need take multiple dark frames process it in regular SW like Pixinsight and then load it into Ekos?
3 years 1 month ago #68205

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by EricFROL on topic Dithering?

Ty ^^
3 years 1 month ago #68206

I've not noticed it trying to guide on a hot pixel (though it's hard to tell what all the multi-star has latched onto). I'll just continue to ignore it.
3 years 1 month ago #68212

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Miguel on topic Dithering?

my two cents.
This link helped me a lot to understand how dithering works: nighttime-imaging.eu/docs/master/site/advanced/dithering/ and its parameter.
Have a look also to this post in particular www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/5781-settle-t...e-ignored.html#44002 and the whole thread, but that post did definitely clarified some concepts that were not totally clear to me.

m
3 years 1 month ago #68292

Time to create page: 1.302 seconds