INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Tips for Auto-Focus

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

The linear focusing algorithm does an initial pass to get a V-curve using the initial step size and then it does a second (or more I guess) pass with half that step size. If you set it too big with the linear algorithm it does not reach focus very accurately, no matter which tolerance you have. So it never goes below half the initial step size and really need to be very fine tuned to work well. That is my understanding and experience at least...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by S.
3 years 2 weeks ago #68437

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

This is why I don't like the algorithm's completion logic. If you're not careful about setting the step size to within 1 CFZ, that last pass at 1/2 stepsize will put you at a focus that is a bit too coarse (or possibly even out of the CFZ!). For those who will eventually use AFC, it means that this relative offset from best focus will be "frozen" as you adjust along the temperature sensitivity curve. Much better to set that last position to the polynomial minimum (as long as it's still inward from the tolerance zone). That keeps the backlash portion of the algorithm design decision in place, but honors the work of all HFR readings in creating the V curve in the first place. There are lots of unknowns involved while focusing, but your best last focus position should be the minimum of all those measurements taken (IMO). That sets you up for a nice ride on the temperature curve. ;-)
3 years 2 weeks ago #68441

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

With all the noise in a sigle hfr measurement, I would also rely on the quadratic model. Maybe you can suggest it as an option?
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by S.
3 years 2 weeks ago #68442

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Done....but minds change slowly about these kinds of things. Not everyone appreciates the power of averages and curvefits over single measurements..... ;-)
3 years 2 weeks ago #68444

• Thank you received: 56

Replied by Rishi Garrod on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

What magnitude stars do you typically choose?
I assume this is also dependant on the filters in use.
I tend to go for magnitude 3 or 4 stars?
3 years 2 weeks ago #68445

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Miguel on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

the more I read, the less I know!
Well, I'm starting to understand how autofocus works under the hood. But, as a good newbie, I have some basic questions. There are some settings I don't get the point completely. For example, what annulus setting means? Yes, I can read the tips ekos shows up, but don't really understand. Could please anybody clarify?
3 years 2 weeks ago #68448

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Mgutierrez:
The annulus' are used to define areas of exclusion where stars will not be selected for measurements. This is to avoid measuring something nebulous in the center of the frame, and possibly distorted stars on the periphery of the image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
3 years 2 weeks ago #68454

Thanks for the reply; yes, I know that. But I'm not sure what defines exactly the threshold you can set. The annulus ekos tooltips talk about "[...]the percentage of the frame that are filtered out[...]". But this options is only present when selecting "Full field" checkbox; so, "the percentage of the frame", which frame? the whole frame? if so, how is related with the annulus? Basically, I don't understand what that threshold defines
3 years 2 weeks ago #68459

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

It is the percentage of one side of the full image frame. For example with an image frame of 1000x1000, excluding 10% from the center will be a circle 100px wide where stars are not measured. Out to the edges of the frame, including 90% will be a circle 900px wide, and anything outside is excluded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miguel
3 years 2 weeks ago #68496

Thanks for the reply. In fact in supposed something like that. But the word "annulus" was confusing to me. I thought that should be related to star annulus, which did not make sense; hence the confusion. Now even I can see more clear; now that I'm able to see the circles in the graph. I'm just trying now my new focuser. Before I was playing with simulators.

Thanks!
3 years 2 weeks ago #68498

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Tips for Auto-Focus

Yes, trying out focusing with the simulators is currently not very helpful. I hope to change that before the end of the week.

-Eric
3 years 2 weeks ago #68510

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Tips for Auto-Focus

For reference, my PR updating the flux calculation in the CCD Simulator was merged in indilib. That should make the Focus simulation a bit more realistic.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miguel
3 years 2 weeks ago #68591

Time to create page: 1.068 seconds