INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Tips for Auto-Focus

• Thank you received: 38

Replied by Sonny Cavazos on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Same here. When I use my 10" RC or my 9.25 EdgeHD I get HFR values that are larger than my lower F number scopes. HFR is directly related to Focal Ratio. The larger the Focal Ratio the bigger the HFR values.

But I do get inconsistent HFR values, I end us using the 2 or 3 frame average, this makes focusing 2 or 3 times longer, but at least I get somewhat good focus.

I do agree that the Focus routine works much better at 200-600mm Focal Lengths, once you start going deep, focus becomes more problematic.
2 years 6 months ago #75814

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Yes it is problematic, but the calculated values are virtually always spot on. EKOS does a great job at calculating that curve and identifying the best focus spot. It just refuses to use it! And the really annoying part is that it can get that calculated value in about 6 exposures, but then goes on for 15-25 more exposures to only end up choosing the wrong one! What should have taken a minute now takes 10 minutes and then I have to go back in and manually move it anyway.
2 years 6 months ago #75815

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

I would like to try your code. Where can I find it?
2 years 6 months ago #75880

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

Hi Andrew, I sent you a PM..... check your forum email. Cheers, Doug
2 years 6 months ago #75881

Ok :)
2 years 6 months ago #75882

You wrote to me that " As a result, when an HFR measurement rises above the prior measurement while in the tolerance zone, he felt that measurement should be trusted, even over the set (possibly as many as 29) measurements."
Yeah, I would not agree with that statement either! All things being equal an HFR measurement taken at the same position should always honour the lowest value, as we can reasonably conclude that atmospheric distortion will only ever make things worse.
2 years 6 months ago #75989

I am willing to fund an issuehunt.io to fix the focus problem.  I would really like this issue fixed.

Thanks.

2 years 6 months ago #76088

Hi Sonny, one of us doesn't understand. If you have a build environment, you can fix this yourself (I can send you a small code fragment that will do it). No need to pay anyone. If you don't have a build environment, but you're willing to pay to get this fixed, wouldn't it be better to just acquire your own build env with the fix? Finally, if you have neither the desire nor feel comfortable building the SW, you're stuck trying to solve a political problem of changing the developer's mind and/or getting the decision overridden by Jasem and/or others via GIT. There's no technical problem here....just politics. If you go the DIY build route and want the code fragment, send me a PM and I'll help you get past this "feature". Cheers, Doug
2 years 6 months ago #76093

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Tips for Auto-Focus

I wonder why the developer is so against fixing a problem that affects users with our specific set ups? If he spent one hour on my system he would quickly see there is an issue, and you’ve already done the hard work of solving it.
2 years 6 months ago #76095

Hi Peter, this isn't about any specific setup. It's about a general failure to understand basic principles (e.g. averaged sampling, polynomial regression, and flawed reasoning regarding a single seeing affected HFR vs the entire autofocus measurement set). The developer has a fairly long focal ratio instrument (wide CFZ), so is less affected by poor final position than those with short focal ratios (narrow CFZ). As such, getting close was "good enough". Precision was never the goal. This is all-too-often a trademark of amateur / hobby development. All I can say is that it's fruitless to continue this discussion here in the forum. You (and others similarly affected) should send Jasem a PM if you feel strongly about having this finally fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sonny Cavazos
2 years 6 months ago #76096

I can build on Linux, and I have a GitHub account as well. I cannot build a windows build, I get those from binary-factory (Jenkins).

I use the windows environment on my Home PC connected to my scope via Ethernet to an Ubuntu Build outside.

I have created an issue for this. I will keep you guys updated on its progress.

I would like to get a copy of your fix, I may run ubuntu inside instead of Windows to fix the focus issue for me.

Thanks!
2 years 5 months ago #76124

Hi Sonny, I sent you a PM. We can deal with any questions via PM from here. CS Doug
2 years 5 months ago #76125

Time to create page: 0.362 seconds