INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Feature: Terrain backgrounds

• Thank you received: 1
So I knew the virtual terrain feature was going to be incredibly useful with my horizon. But I never expected it to be so much fun.
As someone who is pretty new to astronomy, this feature really helps fill in the gaps between looking at sky charts and looking up.
Thank you!

2 years 10 months ago #72155
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 565
@astronerd:  You asked:
            How do we get these two images into kstars…?
Sorry, I'm a bit out-of-context. Do you mean the two Mars sample terrain images I prepared?
If so, they are available in the "download extra data" part of the KStars "startup wizard", which can be found in the  KStars "Settings" menu. 

2 years 10 months ago #72167
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 140
@Hy
No the two images posted that are a much smaller file size that have been posted earlier, by Andrew,  as the two you mention are too big in file size and cause bad lag when using over VNC with a 2k monitor….I can’t use the HIPS overlay either as it just slows it all down to a crawl…..I just wish there ws a better VNC out there that would work well with 2k and 4k monitors….. :(
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 10 months ago #72170

FWIW, you can take either of my two Mars PNG files, or any other PNG compatible with terrain, including one of your own environment, and change its resolution using Photoshop (or I imagine many other photo processing apps) keeping the aspect ratio unchanged, and then output as PNG. I believe it would still work with terrain.
2 years 10 months ago #72178

• Thank you received: 140
@Hy
yes I get that, so back to my original question, if I have an image file I want to add to Kstars, how do I add it manually…..????
2 years 10 months ago #72191

You use the "KStars Settings" menu in "Settings" above the SkyMap, and go to the "Terrain" section.
Select the file you want (defaults to the default directory for terrain) and set the azimuth correction to match the image and the sky (doesn't matter for Mars, but matters for your own surroundings) and check "Show Terrain" and click on "Apply".

If you have your own file, it's good, but not required, to put it in the same directory as the terrain settings file-chooser defaults to.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Hy Murveit.
2 years 10 months ago #72209
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Hy - this Terrain is fab, any news on the altitude adjustment for it ? I'm still battling to get the image lined up with my horizon and it's taking a long time with the manual back and forth of image editing :) 
2 years 8 months ago #74427

@JiberJaber, @JerryBlack: I recently submitted MR 385: invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/385 which allows for vertical adjustment of the terrain image, as you both requested.  It's in the beta software now. If you use that, you should see the following in the Terrain options:

The bottom line in the "Source Options" section, "Terrain Image Altitude Correction Degrees" allows you to enter the altitude correction.

If you enter a positive number and hit apply, it will raise your terrain image by that many degrees in altitude (yes, I know, thus causing a little, hopefully harmless, transparent hole below us, at -90-degrees altitude).  A negative number similarly lowers the terrain image. This setting has no effect on any artificial horizon lines you may have entered. It is purely visual.

Hope this helps,
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black, jiberjaber
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Hy Murveit.
2 years 8 months ago #74540
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Thanks Hy - I'll have to wait till it makes it in to StellarMate but looks like it will allow me to align the visual terrain with the horizon lines which is great! :)
2 years 8 months ago #74630

• Thank you received: 223
This is while using the terrain feature in the equirectangular projection. There is obviously something not looking right.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hy Murveit
2 years 6 months ago #76333
Attachments:

Thanks for reporting this. I found the issue and sent Jasem a patch for review.
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
2 years 6 months ago #76385

• Thank you received: 41
Hello Hy,

Now that Google decided to shut down the ability to capture 360 photos with the street view app, is there a way to load as a terrain at least a panorama photo?

The photo loads up, but due to projections, it is not right, or maybe the Gnomonic is quite close.

Any ideas?

PS. No dedicated 360 camera available :-(
Last edit: 1 year 2 days ago by Euripides.
1 year 2 days ago #92106
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.669 seconds