INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RPI4 keeps losing wifi connection

• Thank you received: 1
I’m using the MATE version of Stellarmate.
3 years 1 week ago #69730

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I’m considering chucking the RPI in the bin and buying a mini pc, putting Ubuntu on it and installing KStars/EKOS myself. It will be a much more powerful machine with decent wifi.
3 years 1 week ago #69731

• Thank you received: 182
Not really. I have a mini-PC (2 years old by now, though) and I have several Pi4s. The mini-PC works OK, but it has only 4 GB. Overall, the Pi4s are the better performers. Faster and use less power.

Except for that wifi problem I have no issue with them. And at <$90 for the 8GB version including an excellent heat sink with fan, I am a big fan of the Pi4 (pun fully intended).
3 years 1 week ago #69732

The one I’m looking at is from ASUS. It has a core i7, 16gb RAM and 802.11ac wifi. Can’t see how this can be worse than the RPI. Yes it’s more expensive (AUD400) but ‘should’’ perform better than the PI?
3 years 1 week ago #69733

That is definitely a powerful machine! It will draw quite a bit more juice than the Pi4, though, I would imagine, so if you are running on battery that is something to consider. Other than that, I am sure you are going to be very happy with it. And installing Kstars and Ubuntu on it would be a breeze as well.
3 years 1 week ago #69734

Yeah it’s probably way over-powered but I figure go big or go home. :)

I only image from home so I’m always connected to mains power. I can keep the PI and use it if I do remote imaging but that unlikely at this stage.
3 years 1 week ago #69736

The Pi4 is a great computer! Don't ditch it. Use it as a server, for instance. I am using an older Pi3 as a 4096 bit encrypted VPN server that allows me full access to my home network from anywhere.
3 years 1 week ago #69737

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds